• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your post will get removed because it regards modern stuff but I will answer anyway! Our tanks today are made to shoot endless counts of different projectiles, many of which would not be compatible with rifling. Ie. Small "missiles"/guided shells. Some of the super high velocity anti tank rounds that these guns use are sub bore size, and are sabots that are stabilized in flight by fins. Thus, rifling is not conducive to being able to fire this many varied types of munitions. With modern techniques incorporated to stabilize shells in flight, the rifling has become largely redundant. With a smoothbore, the barrel is actually more accurate at long ranges with the ultra high velocity anti-armor shells now used. These things are encased sabots propelled incredibly fast that penetrate the armor in a tank like a big needle. These shells are not overly powered in the explosive department, and rely on the kinetic energy of their velocity to cause mayhem inside. Hope this helped! I am no expert but I love learning about modern projectiles specifically. Like I said I am sure this post will be moved but I figured I would help out with your question!

Back