Smoothbore

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Fur Trade' started by bendback, Jan 11, 2020 at 10:42 AM.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2020 at 10:42 AM #1

bendback

bendback

bendback

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Thoughts on what historical record there is on the use of smoothbores and how common they may have been

2. Jan 11, 2020 at 4:05 PM #2

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Think we have hit this one a time or two. Canadians tended to use smoothies. And a HBC official wrote telling people that a rifle was a waste, as a smooth bore shot as well as a rifle to sixty yards and that was where most game was taken.
    The fur companies supplied rifles to their men, and trade rifles were in their stock and trade. It was written that French Canadians and the many Indians working for the companies took fusils while ‘Americans’ reached for the rifle.
    Guns were subject all sorts of damage and a man with a broke or lost rifle may well have grabbed a fusil.
    Most of our surviving NWG, and TFC, were in use up to the beginning of the twentieth century.
    Eyes were mostly uncorrected then, and a fusil can serve well. I have to say, if I was going to try my hand at a year on my own in the tall timber I would rather have a smoothie then a rifle. But that’s from a modern mind that plays in an earlier age.

MSmith and Treestalker like this.
  3. Jan 12, 2020 at 10:24 PM #3

bendback

bendback

bendback

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Thanks Tenngun, I would agree on the choice of carry in today’s time. what are your thoughts on a rear sight on a smoothie

4. Jan 12, 2020 at 10:41 PM #4

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

You didn't ask me but I will jump in. First its your gun so do as you like. BUT, if you are planning on shooting at shooting events most rules say that you can not have a rear sight on a smooth bore for the trade gun events. But you can always shoot against the rifle boys. If you are just hunting with it, if you want a rear sight put one on. Just my one cent worth.

5. Jan 12, 2020 at 10:48 PM #5

ADK Bigfoot

ADK Bigfoot

ADK Bigfoot

40 cal - b

I have a rear sight on my .62 smooth rifle. It is marked with a line where the sight is sighted in. If I need to shoot it in a smoothbore match, I drift out the sight and shoot. When I clean the gun, I put the sight back where it belongs. Dual duty.

For what it may be worth, I have shot the same woods walk in the same day, once with my .62 rifle and once with my .62 smoothbore; and shot one point better with the smoothbore. Go figure. Certainly, for the one-gun man (heaven forbid!) it should be a smoothbore. Better yet, a couple of each!

ADK Bigfoot

Juice Jaws likes this.
  6. Jan 12, 2020 at 10:49 PM #6

Gun Tramp

Gun Tramp

Gun Tramp

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

Searching "smoothbore" brings up four pages of previous posts on the subject. I haven't read them all yet, but since it's snowing again...

7. Jan 12, 2020 at 10:50 PM #7

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

We see rear sights on lots of smoothies. Even trade guns had them fitted or they would live a flake of metal and file a sight in to it. Smooth rifles/ rifle mounted fusils were normally fitted with rear sights. I fit a rear sight on my smoothies... I can’t seem to get a picture with out one.

FiremanBrad likes this.
  8. Jan 13, 2020 at 5:54 PM #8

Bo T

Bo T

Bo T

40 Cal.

A History of the Spokane House, 1810-1826 indicates mostly trade guns, fowling pieces, and some rifles. A trade gun would trade for 18 large prime beaver pelts while an English rifle would trade for 30 pelts. So mostly smoothbores. A pistol would trade for 4 pelts.

Draft saved Draft deleted