• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoothbore which one??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welchman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I want a smooth bore and prefer something larger than 20 guage. I want to use it for upland hunting and waterfowl so an 11-12 gauge. would fit the bill. I also want one that fits into the 1760

As much as I love the Bess, I'd have to suggest, given your two choices, that you go with the Chambers gun. As Jim Chambers guns come in kit form, and you have some gun making experience, you could shorten the barrel/stock/ramrod to whatever length you want. Another consideration is parts/service. The various parts of the Chambers guns are made right here in the USA, and would be much easier to replace if necessary. I've handled and shot a Pedersoli Bess, and it was very nice. Many other guys on the Forum own them and seem to love them. Though I haven't had the chance to shoot a Chambers gun. Mr. Chambers has become something of a living legend among muzzleloader shooters, and you don't earn the kind of respect that he has by turning out an inferior product. Either gun would suit your needs admirably, it's just that ,given the fairly small difference in price, I'd opt for the Chambers fowler/musket. :thumbsup:

Just some thoughts-
I too was interested in the trade gun (Dixie) with the short barrel. However, decided against it on the grounds of 30" being a relativly short sight radius.
I'm heading for a 1756 version. Longer barrel, looks, steel rod, more easily modified to a period correct "poor farm boy" image for a longer time frame (1776- 1850 ish). there are a lot of possibilities offered by this particular piece. Would put one in the Rev. War, 1812, and a lot more.
Living in the S.E. R.I. area and growing up in Stonington Ct. the local "Gaspee day" and the war of 1812 ideals are of great interest to me (and this fits right in like a glove). :results:

I tend to disagree with you concerning barrel length. Welchman says he wants to use the gun for upland hunting and waterfowl. In these situations, a short barrel is preferable. Modern upland guns often have short (22-24") barrels, so I would think that a 30" barrel fowler/musket would do just as well. Granted, you have no choke on a musket, but the shorter barrel is not going to have a big impact on patterning at typical upland ranges. :m2c: Let me ask you: Your dog spooks out a bird 10 yds. ahead of you. Would you rather try to swing a 46" barrel, or a 30" one? Not tryin' to give you a hard time, just a friendly difference of opinion. :: :thumbsup:

You can control the pattern with the amount of powder you use...

It appears the larger the amount of powder, the wider the shot pattern will be...

So if you are shooting ducks on average 35 yards away, you can back off a tad on the powder and have a denser shot cloud at that given range...

I have a Pedersoli Bess carbine/"Trade gun" kit. Been shooting it and hunting with it about three years and absolutely love it. I have no complaints, and ignition is fast and reliable.

Mine shoots shot very well, I have tight-patterning loads for Turkey, which I would think would be about the same load for ducks. For some reason my barrel patterns really well, and my Turkey loads are TIGHT.

I also hunt grouse with it. (totally different load of course) It shoots ball very well too...you mention that you would use your rifle for that, but if you ever do want to go into the thick stuff for black bear or something like that, where range is short and a sledge-hammer might work well...the .75" Bess can really kick some serious butt in that regard. That's one BIG ball I am not kidding.

You certainly would like a Jaeger. Sell what you got and get one. Mine finally arrived from the Birddog6 (.62" calibre) and I have never in my life handled a rifle like this. This rifle feels like it is alive or something.

The cool thing is that the Jaeger is really close to the Bess carbine in length and weight. (although handling is completely different) So they make a really neat rifle/shotgun "set", or pair...if you know what I mean...and between the two of them will take everything from quail to grizz.

The Pedersoli kit is fast and easy to finish into a nice gun...even I did it! (I failed on the Jaeger) So even if you are good enough to do a more advanced kit, you'll be able to put the Bess together really fast, if that is a concern. Sometimes instant gratification is a GOOD thing. Anyhow just wanted to say I have one and am 100% happy with it.

Rat

Latest posts

Back