• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore that’s a bit different

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this .50 (0.509 bore) from a gent who had emigrated from Kenya, this gun had been used by a Mau Mau member who attempted to ambush him; didn’t succeed!!
His wife didn’t like it around the place so he gave it to me, not that she was anti-gun but it revived to many unpleasant memories for her.
It appears to be made out of a car steering column, the section that is hammered flat and seals the breech end seems a long way back from the touch hole but the intervening space is filled with clay and ignition is by a toy cap taped over the touch hole.
The wooden hammer, powered by elastic bands comes up with a good whack, trigger pull is quite light and would be fine on a target rifle..

The previous owner made the firing mechanism and he told me that it’s an exact copy of the original which was taken by Customs as it had what appeared to be active borers in it and Australian quarantine regulations have always been strict B9102DAD-5218-4E09-8FD0-3C5B9286881D.jpeg048C36E8-D749-49DA-9FCA-F88352757A47.jpeg
C4BA2FAA-790D-4571-A47B-960D082D49FA.jpeg
19C8086F-F2C6-4C60-A0E9-91A4A45D73BC.jpeg

Last edited:
As a kid a couple of us built something similar, but much cruder (if you can believe that). Not having BP we powered it with a strong firecracker. Ammo was the small, exploding thingies that you just threw to make them pop.

As a kid a couple of us built something similar, but much cruder (if you can believe that). Not having BP we powered it with a strong firecracker. Ammo was the small, exploding thingies that you just threw to make them pop.

Hanshi, Those were known to us as Atom Pearls, the commercial name. However, torn off roll caps a BB or two, and aluminum foil worked the same way, i.e., when I was in 7th grade and the teacher's back was turned. Just sayin....

Local missionary brought back something similar from the Phillipines or Tanzania. Except it was an air gun they charged with a bike pump. He had to cut it in half to bring it in his check bag, but he reassembled it.

Those were known to us as Atom Pearls, the commercial name. However, torn off roll caps a BB or two, and aluminum foil worked the same way, i.e., when I was in 7th grade and the teacher's back was turned. Just sayin....

They are marketed under a bunch of different names..., I think it's up to the company that imports them from overseas..., here in Maryland they were often called Snap & Pops. The ones below are called Pop Pop Snappers...

SNAP and POPS.jpg

LD

That is awesome. Reminds me of what I heard a long time ago about trying to take toy guns away from kids -- take it away and they'll just turn something else into a gun. Take that away and they'll use their fingers.

Now take them away from adults...

Back