• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Styles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Daryl,
Nice Bess! Is that a custom build, or a Pedersoli/Loyalist Arms/Military Heritage model?

Thanks,
Brewer

Daryl, Nice Bess and Nice pictures.

To be honest I never tried to hotrod the powder or shot charge in my fowler. This is a nice mild load that patterns very well. Not really what you would use for duck but neither is the gun. I use Circle Y wads and card also. I have been using an over powder card followed by a full 1/2 vegitable fiber wad saturated in Crisco. The whole charge is then topped with an over shot card. I may try splitting the wad in half just to see what happens. To give credit ... I must thank my very understanding wife.

Thankyou- but it isn't mine. It is a custom gun with a Colerain (or Getz) .774" bored, barrel. The barrel is 46 1/2" and the lock is stamped 1728 & Tower.
: I was rather surprised he made the stock so light in colour, but I kind of like it now.

Thanks Daryl,
I agree about the lightness of the stock, but it does seem to work on that one. I've been giving serious thought to building a 1st model Bess from Track O' Th' Wolf, and using an assembled Bess lock from the Rifle Shoppe (there's no way I'm going to assemble a lock from sand cast parts!)

Insert thread drift here:

Anybody know if the Bess lock from the Rifle Shoppe will fit the mortice in the pre-inlet stock from TOTW? Or am I better off buying the whole kit from the RIfle Shoppe?

Thanks,
Brewer

My favorite is the Brown Bess. When I first started shooting flintlocks about 4 years ago, my first gun was a Charleville. I just flat out didn't like that gun, so I got myself a Brown Bess, and have been happy with it every since. The one that I have was made about 30 years ago, and has been 'defarbed' so there are no makers marks anywhere on it. In fact, in comparing it to some originals at the Frazier Historical Arms museum, it is closer in looks and coloring to the originals. The current Pedersoli repros LOOK like repros. I went to Friendship with the idea of picking up either a French Tulle, or a Northwest Trade Gun, but after looking them over for several hours, I could not bring myself to spend the $800 plus bucks for one, especially considering that I had something MUCH BETTER at home, that cost me a lot less!!!So, I am a Brown Bess man, but I must admit that some of those 'Smooth Rifles' are rather appealing.....

Remember, the heavier the barrel wrapped around the smooth hole, the more accurate it will be. I found this with a 7/8" .44 cal smooth barel. Out to 45 yards or so, it thought it was a rifle, yet it shot 7 1/2's better than my Daughter's .410 shotguns.

:thumbsup:I like the looks of the Fusil de Chasse guns I have seen--they are common down here in Louisiana what with all the FRENCH :what: and all, but I do not own one (yet). My only smoothie is a cobbed together English/German style fowler with a walnut stock and brass furniture, octagonal-round .62 barrel and Queen Anne lock.......

I think my next one will be the 1728 French Musket from Discriminating General....Very do-able for Rev-War since France sold us so many in 1777. And it has that Tulle stock...

1728_1.jpg

Well after this you 'll know I'm nuts!
Several years back a very good friend and gunsmith built me a Virginian style 50 cal rifle . A beautiful piece of curly maple and a super Coleraine swamped bbl. Iron furniture.It shot like a dream and I had many hours of enjoyment with that rifle .
Along comes 'the wisdom years ' and some major shoulder problems and I found I could not enjoy the weight of the piece any more .
I have several other front stuffers but nothing as important to me as this one. :m2c:
It sat sad and neglected for over a year and then I came up with a bright?? idea.
I got my friend talked into putting a Griffin .62 cal fowler bbl on the piece . He had a major job to redesign the flats on the fowler , without totally ruining the stock . But I now have ... I'm not sure what . Maybe a Virginian smoothbore?? The fowler bbl with that little bit of flare at the muzzle sets everything off just right.
Just has a front sight , still working up a load ,.. with a lot of help from the gang here. But I am once more enjoying the trips to the range , the roam through the woods and everything that goes with it .
Sorry for rambling but I am so dang happy to be back at this I could bust .
That's my piece anyway...whatever you might call it.

Pretty much anything with a smooth bore and a giant flintlock hangin' on the side is OK by me; however, in the end I'd have to say that all muskets must ultimately bow at the throne of the Queen of all Muskets, Miss Bess. :imo: :results:

The one that I have was made about 30 years ago, and has been 'defarbed' so there are no makers marks anywhere on it. In fact, in comparing it to some originals at the Frazier Historical Arms museum, it is closer in looks and coloring to the originals. The current Pedersoli repros LOOK like repros.

Longbarrel50,
I also have one of these Bess's. I think it would pass as an original to the untrained eye. Did you buy it new? I have wondered where mine came from and the time period it was made. I guessed 30-40 yrs ago. Excellent musket. Mine has a few markings at the breech. It is at a friends having the mainspring replaced. The current Italian made ones do not fit it. So the smith is working his magic.My lock and barrel are browned. I can post som pics in a few weeks.

Back