• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very new to the smoothbore club as well. I have been having good luck with bare balls and an over shot card. My barrel is a Rice 20 gauge with jug choke, and rear sight. I tried bare balls with 70 and 85 grains of ffg and they didn't shoot well. I then tried them with 85 grains of fffg and they shoot much better. Both .600 (Lee mold) and .610 (purchased) shoot about the same at 35 yards. Also on the paper is a square load of 1 ounce 7 shot, and equal volume of fffg.

Attachments

• 35td 85fffg bare .600.jpg
    35td 85fffg bare .600.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I used 80 grains in my TFC because that was what the maker recommended. Tried 75 and 85 with out it changing so that’s what I stayed with.
Then I saw a lot of guys talk about 60 and 65 grain charges and I tried that and my groups got smaller. And at thirty yards it drops a whitetail real fast, would expect it to work fine at fifty just haven’t shot a deer with it at that range since I changed my load.
I’ve seen where 100 and 110 had helped some boys but not me.
being cheap I’ve went with the smaller over the bigger.
I like shooting wad but will use a PRB hunting or trekking as I feel it’s less likely to move off the powder.

Okay, i had to say it out loud before i got it. My wife has friends in Bah-ston who would have got it before i did.

I took an interest in this thread because i bought my wife a .56 sb “Renegade” for hunting turkey. We’re still working out shot and rb loads for it. Yeah, leaves and tp work for wadding but i’d like a little more consistency. I tried a poster board overshot card and it worked fine until i bumped the weapon in a muzzle down position... you know what happened next.

So, where do i find flax and mink stuff, photos?

I started a shooting notebook when i got the sb and i tripped over a very good rb load right away. I’ll dig that out and post it here.

Thanks!

don

Jas Townsend's and Son shows hemp and jute tow. ( Tow )

Of course you can go to a big box hardware store and buy jute or hemp twine, fray a 6" strand or two into fibers and make your own jute tow. This is highly flammable so you need to be careful when you shoot it. Hemp twine can be found at some hobby stores.

A search on Bing or Google turned up a pound of tow from flax, but at $33 is a bit over priced for a our use and a lot of shooting acquaintances.

Ebay also has listings for tow from flax in more reasonable quantities.

Where is this used in the loading process, over the powder or over the shot? And what do you use for fireproofing? I build bird’s nests out of frayed jute macrame for under my char cloth for flint and steel, and you’re sure right about how easy it burns.

don

Where is this used in the loading process, over the powder or over the shot? And what do you use for fireproofing? I build bird’s nests out of frayed jute macrame for under my char cloth for flint and steel, and you’re sure right about how easy it burns.

don
I buy my tow off of amazon. Robot Check And yes it is highly flammable. I am still working out some loads but I usually roll the tow into a ball, then coat it in my mink oil to help prevent smoldering. You can find mink tallow at Track of the Wolf online. You can use it over both the powder and the shot but you need to experiment a little to find out what works/what doesn't burn the woods down -Larry

Better than jute then? The pictures show what looks like a finer fiber that jute cord; maybe it will roll up better. But isn’t the mink stuff flammable?

I sure hope somebody else out there is getting something of value out’a these dumb questions.😃

I too am new too the mink oil. It doesn't seem overly flammable though I am sure on its own it is. My wads have not been smoldering when I cover them in it but I am on the search for something that works as well or better.

Wait a second, you mean oil-yer-boots mink oil? I think that stuff’s beeswax - i melted that 50/50 with crisco and saturated patches in it for loading patched rb’s.

Just going off of what i read on the can. Contains no mink or mink by-products, just beeswax.

Sure loads slick, especially in this smoothbore. By the way, isn’t it proper to call it a musket?

Wait a second, you mean oil-yer-boots mink oil? I think that stuff’s beeswax - i melted that 50/50 with crisco and saturated patches in it for loading patched rb’s.

Just going off of what i read on the can. Contains no mink or mink by-products, just beeswax.

Sure loads slick, especially in this smoothbore. By the way, isn’t it proper to call it a musket?
The mink oil sold by Track of The Wolf is pure mink oil, no wax or anything else.

But yes, it can be used on leather too.

A musket is specifically a military smoothbore. In the 17th century, it was also a bore size- a "peece neare musket Bore" (as referenced in John Smith's 1624 list of things people should bring to Virginia) is in the 10-12 gauge range, .75 being nominally standard.
Jay

Musket was first created as a large two man gun and stationed on the flanks of pike men or arqubusers and functioned as light artillery. And could ‘spoil both man and horse at five hundred yards’ This was the sixteenth century. It would get lighter over the years.
Most of us on this forum do eighteenth and up to post WBTS times nineteenth century. In eighteenth century musket was military or a gun could be musket sized meaning around 3/4 inch bore.
In the nineteenth the ‘rifled musket was invented and the name changed again.
Many today call all ML a musket.
Today it is language that shows your part of the club to know the difference between fowling piece of fusil and a musket.
I don’t know that people were as particular back then. Trade musket was said in the old days even though we tend to call those guns fusils today.
London fuze was often a name but fuze or fuke has fallen out of style today.
You can call yours a musket and your welcome at my campfire

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things. Poor accuracy in a smoothbore is usually due to having inconsistency in where the ball sits within the muzzle. That's why the Bess was for more than a century considered "inaccurate". The military was using very undersized ball to allow for the buildup of crud due to the number of shots fired.

So what you want to work on is getting a consistent ball-in-the-barrel placement. One way..., you roll paper cartridges that hold the ball snug in the barrel. You have to make a "former" out of a wooden dowel and sand it down, so that when you wrap the paper around it, it just fits smoothly within the barrel. The ball must fit within the cartridge so that the cartridge doesn't flex outward, and the ball doesn't move about within. The base of this cartridge is flat, and that is the side with the ball within, that you ram down onto the powder. It's basically a paper "shot cup" and it also works for you with shot.

A second way is you get ball that is very close fitting to your bore, and try that loaded over a lubed, fiber wad, and held in place by tow, or a wad of paper, etc. IF that doesn't work for you then you get a wood rasp, and you roll that same close fitting ball between the rasp and a pine board. You want to raise a little bit of the lead on the surface of the ball. So you load powder, a wad of some sort, and then you will need to force the ball into the barrel because tiny bits of lead that you raised are now making the ball a tad too big. Your forcing the ball into the barrel swages some of that raised lead back down, and the ball is then custom fit to your barrel. Ram it down to the wad, and that should be a consistent shooting ball..., what sort of sight "hold" you need to use to hit the target, will be another factir, Some folks have reported good accuracy with loading a 1/2" wad, a bare ball, and a second 1/2" wad on top of the ball.

A third way of which I've heard, is to take an unlubed, 1/2" fiber wad, and locate the very center of the wad. You then take a large drill bit, and by hand, you create a shallow, concave dimple in the wad. Then you take a spot of something like rubber cement, and attach the ball to the dimple in the center of the wad. To load, after you drop in your powder, you ram down a lubed 1/2" wad (which will leave some lube on the walls of the barrel), followed by the ball-and-dry-wad assembly. This is then followed by something like tow, or a paper wad...., What this does is even if the ball isn't a good fit for your smoothbore, the dimple will center the ball and the glue keeps the ball from shifting when loading. Upon firing the mass of the ball compresses into the wad a tiny bit, but because of the pre-made dimple, the ball stays centered. The glue seam, however, gets fractured due to the jolt of firing, so that when the ball exits the muzzle, it is no longer glued to the wad. The trick is..., getting the dimple in the exact center. I suppose a tool could be fashioned to give you the center every time. I've yet to try this, but it would allow the use of a smaller ball that would equal higher muzzle velocity, and if you were using alloyed lead a bit lighter than pure lead, you'd get even better velocity. I've never tried this method, and..., I'm unsure which would be better..., loading the wad-ball assembly with the wad toward the powder, OR loading the wad-ball assembly with the ball toward the powder and the wad toward the muzzle, omitting the over wad or over shot card.

LD
This is great stuff, very detailed.

Okay, i had to say it out loud before i got it. My wife has friends in Bah-ston who would have got it before i did.

I took an interest in this thread because i bought my wife a .56 sb “Renegade” for hunting turkey. We’re still working out shot and rb loads for it. Yeah, leaves and tp work for wadding but i’d like a little more consistency. I tried a poster board overshot card and it worked fine until i bumped the weapon in a muzzle down position... you know what happened next.

So, where do i find flax and mink stuff, photos?

I started a shooting notebook when i got the sb and i tripped over a very good rb load right away. I’ll dig that out and post it here.

Thanks!

don

I too have a T/C Renegade SB, which I usually shoot with a .550" RB (Lyman mould via eBay) + a .012" patch. It was quite accurate from a rest @ 25 yd., but I got tired of forcing that combination down the bbl. and decided to try [hand rolled] tow wads fore and aft. Accuracy was excellent and perhaps a mite better than the patched RB @ 25 yd., but I had to damp swab the bore after every other shot with the tow wads. Wad size and pressure seem to make a difference in accuracy, btw. Hope this helps!

i wound up buying the only rb’s i could find for this .56 SB before a camping/shooting trip last summer - .535’s. They shot okay, and i had to use them in a .54 Renegade when the .530’s ran out (bear to load).

Mama Bwana has been infected with the pour yer own bullets bug and is getting her starter kit for Christmas when she gets home from work tomorrow (airline pilot - works holidays). But i got her a .490 mold. I’m guessing maybe later going with separate .550 and .530 molds for the Renegade and SB?

Dang - gotta go shoot!

don

I have a Nasir M.D. Fateh M.O. It was made in 1971 it is non nitro, it takes 80 grains of powder, and the bullet diameter is supposed to be .669. I can't find any bullets to use with in this diameter. I was wondering if a 50 caliber bullet with a large patch that fills all the space around the bullet would work in this muzzleloader. I don't know very much in the area.

I have a Nasir M.D. Fateh M.O. It was made in 1971 it is non nitro, it takes 80 grains of powder, and the bullet diameter is supposed to be .669. I can't find any bullets to use with in this diameter. I was wondering if a 50 caliber bullet with a large patch that fills all the space around the bullet would work in this muzzleloader. I don't know very much in the area.

Any chance you could post a pic of said gun? I have no idea what that is, but I'll assume since you posted it here it's a smoothbore and you're looking for .669 balls. Track of the Wolf offers balls in .662 Balls & shot for muzzle loading guns - Track of the Wolf.

Latest posts

Back