• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore roundball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrell5678

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello- I am very interested in getting a muzzleloader fowler gun-specifically the smoothbore 20 gauge/62 caliber. My question is, on a very popular Youtube channel, they used a 590 roundball for a muzzleloader of this bore size-wouldn't they need to use a 610 or 615 ball or am I missing something?

To be honest,
Each individual gun and, more so, a gun used with each individuals loading technique determines which size ball works best.
There's really a lot of variables in play for the best combination.
Experimentation is the only way to figure that out.
When it comes to Youtube presentations,, well, it's all bout which edited version of the clip that person presents.
He could have had 100's of rounds through the gun before he posted a vid,,

I have 0.600 moulds, with those balls I can't beat a prb down thr bore with 0.018 patches. Prb for me would need a 0.595 ball I think.

The 20 ga. at our house eats a .600" patched ball for near rifle accuracy at 50 yards. I've cast and fired quite a few .590" ball and just double patched them. Accuracy was quite good at that distance.
What are you using for patch materials. Wash , unwashed, lube, spit, thickness?

I’m the odd one here I guess. My 20 ga smoothbore rice barrel liked .575 cast balls with denim patching back when I still owned it. Shot plenty good enough for me!
Walk

Hello- I am very interested in getting a muzzleloader fowler gun-specifically the smoothbore 20 gauge/62 caliber. My question is, on a very popular Youtube channel, they used a 590 roundball for a muzzleloader of this bore size-wouldn't they need to use a 610 or 615 ball or am I missing something?
For mine... a Pedersoli fowler. I use the .600 round ball. shoots great at 25 (clover leafs at times) 50 yards is still a work in progress. some good days and some not so good days.

What are you using for patch materials. Wash , unwashed, lube, spit, thickness?

Patches in my smoothbore are not nearly as heavy as those I use with rifles. As a general practice I use flannel (baby blanket/washed) which runs somewhere in the neighborhood of .012" with a .600" ball. Two patches work fine with the .590" ball. I mostly use Hoppes BP Lube and sometimes TOW mink oil.

I've been shooting my Track of the Wolf fusil de chasse for a couple of years now. And I still feel like I'm experimenting. I've tried .580" balls with .020" ticking for a patch. I've tried .600" ball with a .010" patch, and also with wads. I've tried .610" ball with an over powder wad and an over ball wad, as well as just a single wad on top of the ball. So far it seems like either the .580 ball & patch load, or the wadded .600" ball loads are the most accurate. All loads being fired by 3 drams (roughly 82 gr.) of 2fg Scheutzen black powder. So hang in there, and keep on experimenting.

A few months back I purchased a new Pedersoli Trade Gun, and it mics out at a .630 bore. Which is great because I just happened to already have a mold that throws a .610 ball from pure lead. I shoot them wrapped with spit lubed .018 pillow tick cut at the muzzle. These load easy with thumb pressure (no short starter needed) and shoots fine.

A few months back I purchased a new Pedersoli Trade Gun, and it mics out at a .630 bore. Which is great because I just happened to already have a mold that throws a .610 ball from pure lead. I shoot them wrapped with spit lubed .018 pillow tick cut at the muzzle. These load easy with thumb pressure (no short starter needed) and shoots fine.
My Ped trade gun with 0.600 balls and a 0.018 patch needs a short start to go down. Doesn't need beating but it's a bit too much pressure for thumb. Interesting how much they can vary.

Don’t be afraid to use a smaller ball and thicker patch. It will load easier and the patch will carry more lube.

Latest posts

Back