• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoothbore removable tang sight.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Irish Jack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It is made from 1/16" thick brass flat stock the width of the tang. Can also use steel. It can be shaped as owner desires and engraved or file shaped. My drawing is how mine is made. It is attached with the tang screw (You may need a second new one to fit the gun with the sight added). It is bent to make a slight curve so it lays almost intimately against the tang and snugged when installed. After sight-in to find the center of horizontal(L-R) picture, you need to peen a dot on the tang for re-installation to center it. I make the base have a rear pointing POINT that aligns with the dot.(see picture) The sights front is bent up to fit onto the tang so the bent facing, with groove cut in, is forward and up enough to function with the front sight.(see picture) Then center and drill screw hole. Cut a very narrow sighting groove to make adjustments that you will use to make final filings after sighting for distance of elevation marks. Shape the grooved window so distances are quickly read. This is best done in the shop after shooting to adjust distances at the range and marking the face to file out in the shop. I use a fine marker, pencil or scratch awl. If someone might have a question, PM me, I will get back to you. The sight can be used for hunting, target practice or plinking and taken off for smoothbore matches. It can be cloth bagged and kept in shooting bag, prevent scratch marks. A screw driver is the only tool for change-out.
rr site.jpg

That's pretty nifty. :thumb:

I made one out of a 3/4" brass corner brace from Home Depot. The nice thing is the brace was exactly the width of the tang on my trade gun, so it's easy to align if I take it off. You get two to the packet so if you screw up one you have another, OR you can use the unmodified one as a "ghost ring" rear sight if you go after upland birds

CORNER BRACE SIGHT.jpg
LD

Back