• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoothbore rear sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know that this may be a touchy post ... however ... here goes nuttin.

I have a rustic peep that I made on my breech plug but not sure I am in love with it.

Would really like pictures of your rear sights on your smoothies for inspiration.

I been gettin pretty good at cuttin dovetails for sights and been givin thought to installing a dovetailed rear sight on the octagon rear portion of my smoothie.

Could I put upon ya to post some pictures of your rear sights?

Thanks

1624426160411765016410.jpg
here. Is mine
1624426006168590273556.jpg

16244260552431982909283.jpg

So thar is mine. Carved it outta a thumb screw and added a square nut to hold it in place. After shooting it for some time, I am flirting with installing a dovetail rear sight in place of this home made peep.

Last edited:
I had a period correct ladder sight put on my Pedersoli 1816 Springfield smoothbore. Some converted muskets received rear sights but weren't rifled, in the hasty, large effort to make thousands of old Flintlocks usable in 1860-61 so I feel good about it.

It makes this musket so much more accurate, fun to shoot and it's just something different.

20191010_180800.jpg

here. Is mine
So thar is mine. Carved it outta a thumb screw and added a square nut to hold it in place. After shooting it for some time, I am flirting with installing a dovetail rear sight in place of this home made peep.
I just soldered a LR sight on mine.
I really like yours. So simple and minimalist.
What is pushing you to change?

I just soldered a LR sight on mine.
I really like yours. So simple and minimalist.
What is pushing you to change?

Thanks for the compliment. I took a bit and three try's to get it where it is now. Always like peeps ... maybe I just need to revamp it into an adjustable peep somehow so it continues with its minimalist profile. Do not want to clutter it up.

Guess I have contemplated trying to get it maybe a little more PC.

Been a tinkerer all my life which is sometimes a curse as it seems hard for me to let things lay as they are. Lord knows that there are enough "projects" to keep me busy for all the time left.

Just retired and can't seem to stop feeling a bit guilty for having all this time on my hands now. May seem weird but now I have what I longed for and my "new normal" seems somehow overwhelming.

Any rate, this smoothie is so much fun ... it is so easy to load and now trying to get figured out what it wants for a shot load.

My smoothrifle has a pretty standard rifle style rear sight. Trouble with it is that it is tough to ignore when trying to shoot pheasant on the wing, and, it is a pretty standard position which in this case is right at the balance point that I want my hand carrying the gun,
20210623_094025.jpg20210623_094111.jpg20210623_094159.jpg
I recently added a tiny brass rear sight to my Fusil des Chase for a variety of reasons. Taking a hint from the rear sight bearing, smoothbore, type-G trade gun, I placed it back even with the front lock bolt. I used a triangular file to widen and deepen the notch. In this position the sight is blurry to my eyes, but, focus should be on the front sight anyway, even when a rear sight is positioned where I could focus on it,,,, it's blury when I'm shooting. I am finding that even blury, it's visible enough and the notch is sized properly so that my eye just naturally lines the sights up with focus on the front sight.
This is held on for now with Locate BlackMax. My intent was to have it dovetailed in if I like it (which I do) but the height seems about perfect so I don't want to lower it by dropping it into a dovetail,,,, yet....20210623_094331.jpg20210623_094344.jpg20210623_094402.jpg

This is on my turkey gun, I want to make sure I have it pointed where it needs to be in the heat of the battle, I made it out of a piece of angle iron. I don't shoot my smoothie enough to be consistent without a rear sight, especially while deer hunting. So many guns and so little time, they don't get shot much.

rear sight 001.JPG
smoothbore buck 001.JPG

I had a period correct ladder sight put on my Pedersoli 1816 Springfield smoothbore. Some converted muskets received rear sights but weren't rifled, in the hasty, large effort to make thousands of old Flintlocks usable in 1860-61 so I feel good about it.

It makes this musket so much more accurate, fun to shoot and it's just something different.

View attachment 82261

Thanks. Looks like it fits your gun.

This is on my turkey gun, I want to make sure I have it pointed where it needs to be in the heat of the battle, I made it out of a piece of angle iron. I don't shoot my smoothie enough to be consistent without a rear sight, especially while deer hunting. So many guns and so little time, they don't get shot much.

View attachment 82295View attachment 82296

That is a great lookin sight. Is it homade or available someplace? Also those steps ... point forward or rearward?

Latest posts

Back