• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore R/B load 20ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowfish

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, just bought tracks gun #x197 smoothbore it is a 20ga fowler I need some rec. on a load for a R/B I will only have 3 days to try out the gun instead of the normal 10 days because I got them to come down on the asking price. So I want to shoot a few R/B loads out of her I have some .600 balls and .015 patches comeing to use but just need a good starting load to use and what would be a good patch lube to use in the cold. When it gets here it will still be in the low teens to low thirties here and if it will group a R/B at 30 yards I will keep her I do not expect dead center groups it has only a front sight but if she groups then I can learn the correct hold for this gun. And does anyone know this gun maker Douglas J. Prudden he made this gun .Thanks again bowfish

BowFish--I am just getting started with my fowler. I am going to try the advice Roundball sent me for shooting a patched round ball. Rabbit hunting with shot just load like any other shotgun. Powder, over powder card, cushion wad,shot, and over shot card. 7/8 oz. powder & same measure of shot is a good place to start. If you are interrested maybe Roundball has the link for makeing the Paper shot cups. Good luck with your fowler I think you will love it. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have had a couple of .62 smoothbores and both have done well with a .600 ball and .015 patch with 70-80 gr 3f.

Rocky Johnson suggests using 7/8 oz. of powder which is 382 grs. If you use that much you probably won't have to worry about returning the gun. About 75 grs. is right for hunting and around 60 is fine for targets.
Deadeye

Caliber: .62 cal.

Ball Size: .600 - .615

Loads: 60 to 90 grains FFg.

The working up of a optimum load for a smoothbore is a much simpler task than for a rifled barrel, although many of the same principles will apply for both firearms.

Selecting the proper patch thickness for the size of ball used will greatly help in maintaining accuracy of these non-rifled firearms.

Patch material should be thick enough to hold the ball tightly against the powder charge and to prevent it from moving forward, yet still be easy to load.

Most of this will be trial and error, taking notes will help sort out things later...

A tight patch combo for the first few shots may be a bad combo in the field around the fourth shot, this is why I carry two sizes (thickness) of patches with me for my .75 caliber...

I start tight, and after four shots, I drop in patch thickness and continue hunting, this prolongs the need to clean between stots...

I certainly got that backward didn't I..Use your 7/8 oz. shot measure for your powder. 7/8 oz. powder would be A bit much!!Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Somewhat off the subject,but related. I just traded for a 1842 Springfield Armi-sport repro.. The guy had a Lee .690 mold and had never used a patch. I poured some balls and triple coated them in my lube mixture and loaded without a patch. The ball fit is tight without the patch and seated well. The gun shoots very well and is accurate. I put a flashlight down the bore after cleaning and no lead streaks were left behind. My question, is a patch needed on a good fitting , well lubed ball?

Most of the 20g smoothbores shoot a .60c ball just fine, however some prefer a .610 ball and Center Marks fusils shoot a .595 ball. My wifes smoothbore shoots a .535 whereas my .54c smoothbore pistol will barely get down a .527 ball. I have two trade guns that shoot .60 balls. I get the best accuracy in both with 70g of 2f and a .015 patch. Ive tried 3f and although it shoots cleaner it isn't quite as accurate.

Back