• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore or Rifle- Is there a Question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

From "Firearms of the American West 1803-1865"
:"In heavily wooded terrain, such at that in northern Minnesota, Eastern Texas, or the foothills of the Rockies, where long shots were the exception, rather than the rule, a smoothbore could actually be more valuable than a rifle."
:"The early frontier bias against smoothbores simply failed to recognize their advantages." "Moreover, a .69 or a 10- to 16-guage shotgun(.66 to .77 cal.) could fire a single ball roughly twice(to thrice) as heavy as that from a .54 military or plains rifle, which gave it tremendous close-range shocking power"
: To date, I've shot many moose in North-Central B.C. with both large modern and large Muzzleloading rifles, yet I've not shot a moose at a greater distance than 95 yds. from where I've stood. This, in all cases could have been handled by a properly loaded militay musket with a single ball. Only one needed more than the initial shot, and that one took the second in the literally the same tracks as when receiving the first. Such is the tremendous shocking power of a .69. While it was a rifle, it very easily could have been a M1728 French or English, without the unessessary benifit of the rifling.
Daryl

I had some sympathy for you about buying black powder up there but then you tell about all your moose hunts and I turn green. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back