• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Long Range Penetrating Shooting Fun...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, I like your reasoning here, but am not sure about the expansion. Old accounts of battle injuries indicate that rifle balls always made very serious wounds, more so than the large musket balls. I suspect that decelerating a spinning ball by friction in soft material might just increase the amount of upset/expansion in a soft lead bullet. It would be an interesting read if someone knows of an actual study performed on this phenomenon (hopefully in game animals). If shooting into hard objects the lead would of course behave somewhat differently!
The spinning rifle ball would be smaller than the musket ball and would be traveling at a higher velocity than the musket ball , not apples with apples .

Sorry , I don't have the time to video my life.. I don't have anything personal against you, I just think you aren't doing the hobby any favors. Shooting sports are already heavily scrutinized by the public. Having a self proclaimed MANIAC filming himself doing crazy thi gs just isn't wise. Only my opinion of course, you're free to do as you like.
Chickenboy, you at it again?!?
Hahaha!
You may not “have time to video” your life but you sure have time to spend all day on this website Hahaha!

Sorry , I don't have the time to video my life.. I don't have anything personal against you, I just think you aren't doing the hobby any favors. Shooting sports are already heavily scrutinized by the public. Having a self proclaimed MANIAC filming himself doing crazy thi gs just isn't wise. Only my opinion of course, you're free to do as you like.
I don't think shooting cutting boards, steel bigfoots, balloons, and old window panes with a smoothbore flint lock falls under the "crazy things" category nor is it on the radar of "the public" when it comes to the on going gun debate.

I have to ask, if Mark isn't doing the sport any favors, what are you doing to promote interest in the sport ? One of Mark's videos peak my interest a few years ago and eventually got me into BP shooting. His light hearted and comical approach made something new and unknown less intimidating . Carry on.

I don't think shooting cutting boards, steel bigfoots, balloons, and old window panes with a smoothbore flint lock falls under the "crazy things" category nor is it on the radar of "the public" when it comes to the on going gun debate.

I have to ask, if Mark isn't doing the sport any favors, what are you doing to promote interest in the sport ? One of Mark's videos peak my interest a few years ago and eventually got me into BP shooting. His light hearted and comical approach made something new and unknown less intimidating . Carry on.
Well I'm glad you asked what I'm doing to promote interest in the sport. I'm currently teaching 2 to 3 one week long classes on building and decorating muzeloading guns at the NMLRA education building. I have a class coming up in April. Through the 2000s I taught muzzle loading rifle building classes at Conner Prairie. Those were week long classes as well. Just a few years ago PBS sent a crew out to film me and promote the craft of building muzzle loading guns. You can find the episode by going to PBS and looking up A CRAFTSMANS LEGACY. I think its season one, episode eight. I'm also on the NMLRAs YouTube channel building guns. I also put together a lengthy tutorial on building a gun from a plank, it's about a million pages long and can be found on the ALR forum.
Am I doing enough to promote interest or do you require I do more? With all of the above I have very little time to shoot nonsensical videos.

Null OB is very fine and makes a great priming powder except when it is either windy or humid , then the powder can blow out of the pan as you prime or in humid / damp conditions it can turn into black soup before your eyes .

Thanks for your thoughts...I enjoy reading all feed back whether I'm in agreement or not.

I read elsewhere on this thread you are in the hobby big time with gun building series....that's OUTSTANDING..!
I'm into the shooting part of the hobby because I don't have the patience to build guns.
I'd rather use them.
I also give talks about the harshness of the frontier life to youngsters at local schools and local events several times a year.
I absolutely LOVE introducing new shooters ( especially the ladies ) into the hobby and have dozens of videos from 6-8 states in the midwest showing new folks how to shoot.
Regarding "filming my life"...that's the easy part. I just carry a camera with me everywhere & use it trying to catch the fun of the hobby where ever I go.

My bride and I are going to Missouri in August to shoot with the Ozark boys again, going to the Hawken Classic and put that event on video, going to Pennsylvania twice this summer to shoot with groups and enjoy cookouts. We are going to Tennessee in 2 weeks to shoot with some fellows at a wacky fun Woods Walk shoot. Going to Bowling Green to the Victorian Shoot in April.

I'll attend Friendship a least a dozen times this year and will attend both National shoots, the New Year's Day FREE shoot and show the fun of shooting the Woods walks there too......believe it or not, 8-10 fellows from this website will be in attendance on that one. One of those videos will be showing the guns at the Gunmakers Hall and other cool looking activities I can find.

Also possibly going to South Carolina this summer to shoot with a group too....all of the locations mention above will be on video to post on the BPMS Channel showing folks how fun the hobby is this year. I believe all of this promotes the hobby more than any magazine could ever do in today's world of electronics that are glued to the hands of our younger folks.

Some promotes the hobby at rendezvous.....that's sweet....!!
Some promote the museum part of the hobby......
Some promotes the building of guns.

Guess we are both promoting the hobby in our own ways...
I LOVE that aspect of the hobby.

Keep on promoting the hobby my friend.
I plan on it.

Well I'm glad you asked what I'm doing to promote interest in the sport. I'm currently teaching 2 to 3 one week long classes on building and decorating muzeloading guns at the NMLRA education building. I have a class coming up in April. Through the 2000s I taught muzzle loading rifle building classes at Conner Prairie. Those were week long classes as well. Just a few years ago PBS sent a crew out to film me and promote the craft of building muzzle loading guns. You can find the episode by going to PBS and looking up A CRAFTSMANS LEGACY. I think its season one, episode eight. I'm also on the NMLRAs YouTube channel building guns. I also put together a lengthy tutorial on building a gun from a plank, it's about a million pages long and can be found on the ALR forum.
Am I doing enough to promote interest or do you require I do more? With all of the above I have very little time to shoot nonsensical videos.
Well, if you could maybe make a video of yourself shooting pumpkins filled with whip cream wearing tricorn hats with a dueling pistol loaded with a jawbreaker, while wearing a opossum skin coat and a football helmet; that'd be pretty cool. :ghostly:

I believe I saw some episodes of that show on PBS, and it was pretty interesting. I remember going to Conner's Prairie on a school trip many moons ago. Carry on.

Mark - Thank you for being a big enough being to stand up and communicate! Of course that will generate flak - it takes a strong person to put it out there despite the rotten apples. And then to do it in a light-hearted way shows even more strength. Keep it up!

Mark - Thank you for being a big enough being to stand up and communicate! Of course that will generate flak - it takes a strong person to put it out there despite the rotten apples. And then to do it in a light-hearted way shows even more strength. Keep it up!
Aaaagh, thank you. Believe me, I understand brand loyalty and my comments are stepping on some of those brand loyal toes.
I not totally against Goex, in fact, I still have several cans of 3 and 4F Goex but choose to shoot Swiss/Schuetzen due to them stepping up to keep BP shooters going during the Goex problems.
I commend them for having something to all of us to shoot during this time.

Last year....shooters were getting all excited about having Goex available by January 2023.
I worked for a large company and totally understand that was a pipe dream at best my friends...things just doesn't happen very fast dealing with such a massive undertaking.
They will get Goex on the shelves someday...they have no choice now.
They will have millions of dollars invested to get the various grades of powder on the American shelves to sell. Lets hope the price is competitive and they will start supporting the shooting sports.

Meanwhile...I'm not waiting on a product that may not be available for many more months..
I'll continue using Swiss/Schuetzen 2-3 days per week..... and.... now that its warming up here in KY
( Woo Hoo )..I'm planning on shooting even more.

I wish Goex at the best. I believe in buying American, but, when Goex is not available, it is not available.
After all...we all buy foreign products daily anyway. Sometimes...we have no choice.

Keep on shooting my friends...

I plan on burning that available powder as long as the good Lord allows me too.

I thought it was very entertaining. But he didn't answer the question posed to him about a smoothbore's penetration at 100 yards.

Anyway, the old smoothbore big wall guns or fortress guns were quite capable of picking off an unwary soldier at over 600 yards away. But they usually fired at massed groups of soldiers though.

I thought it was very entertaining. But he didn't answer the question posed to him about a smoothbore's penetration at 100 yards.
If I could only hit a target at 100 yards...I'd LOVE to show a penetration....LOL
I need something the size of a house door.....

Come to think about it....I do have an old door available...
Sounds like a future project...LOL

If I could only hit a target at 100 yards...I'd LOVE to show a penetration....LOL
I need something the size of a house door.....

Come to think about it....I do have an old door available...
Sounds like a future project...LOL
Look to a ballistic chart, find the approximate speed of a 20-ga roundball at 100 yards, find a reduced load that gives about the same speed at 25 yards, shoot that load into your target and you're good to go.

I'd venture a guess that a 300+ gr roundball at anything north of 600 fps will still blow through just about anything.

Look to a ballistic chart, find the approximate speed of a 20-ga roundball at 100 yards, find a reduced load that gives about the same speed at 25 yards, shoot that load into your target and you're good to go.

I'd venture a guess that a 300+ gr roundball at anything north of 600 fps will still blow through just about anything.Never failed to shoot
I never failed to shoot through a deer with my 20 bore gun loaded with 60gr 2ff and a bare ball. All shots 50 yards or less. Maybe I should have made a video of it :ghostly:

Mark, thanks for the explanation on what NULL_OB was, as I never heard of it. and a great video you supplied on it. keep it up, you have a following!

Mark, thanks for the explanation on what NULL_OB was, as I never heard of it. and a great video you supplied on it. keep it up, you have a following!
Thanks my friend.....

I'm going to fulfill a request from @LME ( from this website ) tomorrow morning:
Below is what I'll be demonstrating.....
Its kinda wacky....you should enjoy it.

Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 5.51.57 PM.png

Latest posts

Back