• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoothbore Long Range Penetrating Shooting Fun...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched 20 seconds of one video a couple years ago. Seemed pretty silly to me. But that's OK, everybody else seems to enjoy. Maybe I'm too serious to do silly things.
There are plenty of "serious" black powder videos on Youtube. You know the type, the shooter get upset if they don't shoot the very center of a target. Well...I can do that too, it is easy to do.....just simply shoot often enough and edit out of the video everything except the best shots.

However..........I try to present the hobby in a different twist. I will show the hits and the misses. I'll also show the gun being "dry balled", dropped in the mud or whatever else silly the cameras may catch. When that happens, I generally laugh it off & get back to shooting and definitely post the incident on the videos.
I shoot with groups in surrounding states such as we do every New Years Day in Indiana. No match play, just eating potluck and trying out each other's guns all day long.

I also tackle fun challenges, etc. For example, I'm posting a video showing what it takes to shoot a lead round ball thru a steel plate very soon. I even used range rods, ball starters and powder measures...tools I seldom use on videos. That one was fun to put together.
( Other than the safety aspect of the sport. )...I prefer to show the fun of the hobby and not necessarily the serious side of shooting.

Thanks for watching those 20 seconds my friend.

How about 70 grains of Swiss Null OB. Will that work?
You can see that at the 2:25 time stamp below:

Yes but you state don't do it after you have debunked it! Ok so your publicly covering your rear, fair enough....I did notice how much better it sounded with 4f.

So many are missing out, especially the shotgunners, oh well I will say publicly, I LOVE THE STUFF 🥰

It occurs to me that the question about ball penetration of a smooth bore at long range could be answered by stating that any ball of pure lead of the same caliber and weight and velocity should penetrate to the same distance when fired into the same medium whether it is fired from a smooth bore or a rifle , as I see it effect of the lack of spin would have more to do with long range accuracy , I don't believe the spinning ball screws itself into the target , although it could have an effect on ball expansion . Am I right or wrong ?

I also liked the boos and cheers, reminded me of some Saturday morning cartoon from the late 70's from when I was a kid.

Be careful with the glass , I got sliced to the bone once from a broken pane . Bleed like a stuck pig .

There are plenty of "serious" black powder videos on Youtube. You know the type, the shooter get upset if they don't shoot the very center of a target. Well...I can do that too, it is easy to do.....just simply shoot often enough and edit out of the video everything except the best shots.

However..........I try to present the hobby in a different twist. I will show the hits and the misses. I'll also show the gun being "dry balled", dropped in the mud or whatever else silly the cameras may catch. When that happens, I generally laugh it off & get back to shooting and definitely post the incident on the videos.
I shoot with groups in surrounding states such as we do every New Years Day in Indiana. No match play, just eating potluck and trying out each other's guns all day long.

I also tackle fun challenges, etc. For example, I'm posting a video showing what it takes to shoot a lead round ball thru a steel plate very soon. I even used range rods, ball starters and powder measures...tools I seldom use on videos. That one was fun to put together.
( Other than the safety aspect of the sport. )...I prefer to show the fun of the hobby and not necessarily the serious side of shooting.

Mark is correct, there are already enough "serious" BP shooting videos, I enjoy his light hearted videos that have become a Sunday morning tradition for me and my wife, who thinks most BP shooting videos are boring.

Yes but you state don't do it after you have debunked it! Ok so your publicly covering your rear, fair enough....I did notice how much better it sounded with 4f.
That's why I pulled the hammer with string.
I wasn't sure what would happen trying what's on that video.
I don't care about the barrels....but...I do like my skin though....LOL

It occurs to me that the question about ball penetration of a smooth bore at long range could be answered by stating that any ball of pure lead of the same caliber and weight and velocity should penetrate to the same distance when fired into the same medium whether it is fired from a smooth bore or a rifle , as I see it effect of the lack of spin would have more to do with long range accuracy , I don't believe the spinning ball screws itself into the target , although it could have an effect on ball expansion . Am I right or wrong ?
Hmm, I like your reasoning here, but am not sure about the expansion. Old accounts of battle injuries indicate that rifle balls always made very serious wounds, more so than the large musket balls. I suspect that decelerating a spinning ball by friction in soft material might just increase the amount of upset/expansion in a soft lead bullet. It would be an interesting read if someone knows of an actual study performed on this phenomenon (hopefully in game animals). If shooting into hard objects the lead would of course behave somewhat differently!

Last edited:

I saw that you pulled a video from facebook due to the comments.....

There will always be the contrarians whose negative reactions are their first impulses, ignore them for who they are.

My father used to say watch peoples first reaction to things and that will tell you who they are.
If someone first reaction is...
Thats beautiful, that's someone who looks for beauty.
If looking at the same thing someone worries about how easy it would be to steal, they think like a thief.

If someone watches your videos and is negative, probably just a negative person in general.

If someone watches your videos and is negative, probably just a negative person in general.
You are 110% right.
I've run into those type comments before on other videos and this time they were getting out of control.
That's what happens when one puts themself in the public's eye.
I'm still waiting on some of those negative fellows to post their own videos for me to review.

All I hear is response are crickets...crickets,...crickets.

Sorry , I don't have the time to video my life.. I don't have anything personal against you, I just think you aren't doing the hobby any favors. Shooting sports are already heavily scrutinized by the public. Having a self proclaimed MANIAC filming himself doing crazy thi gs just isn't wise. Only my opinion of course, you're free to do as you like.

You are 110% right.
I've run into those type comments before on other videos and this time they were getting out of control.
That's what happens when one puts themself in the public's eye.
I'm still waiting on some of those negative fellows to post their own videos for me to review.

All I hear is response are crickets...crickets,...crickets.
Well, as most others have said, your videos are throughly enjoyable. There are always some people that must have been suckled on a dill pickle, they're always negative, always will be.

I've managed to hit silhouettes several times at 100 yards with just a small bit of holdover with that same gun. But I have to use a VERY good rest that takes most of me out of the shot & keep it subsonic. Off-hand? I wish. The gun is certainly capable though. It's fun to hear that heavy ball hit steel too.

Back