• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Brown Bess does indeed shoot more accurately with heavy/heavier (not excessive) charges, but that is with patched balls, I've never shot bare-ball. Don't think 60+ grains is "too" light in a .60, but I'm not sure why anyone would shoot less than that. 70-80 grains is certainly reasonable, and not "light" as far as deer hunting goes. I hunt in a grizzly recovery area, (had to take a test, to hunt there, to prove I knew a grizz from a black bear) (!!!) and for that reason favor heavy charges in my Bess or .62" Jeager, in case I did encounter a grizz who wanted to fight. Few weeks ago, during deer/elk ML season, came across a GIANT track. Made me want to pull the ball, and add some more powder. :)

Sicilian, the 70 grains of 3F and a .600" prb is so accurate (3 shot 3" groups at 50 yards) that I probably won't change a thing about it. Velocity hovers around 1368 fps. 90 grains of 2F gave nearly 1300 fps and accuracy was "adequate" but otherwise nothing special. 70 grains of 3F, felt wad, same volume of #4 shot and os card wad does well at 25 yards but I think I can do better, possibly, with more trials.

My .62 never shot worth a damn with 2f powder. Switched to 3f and things tightened up. Continued to tighten up until I passed 85 grains. I now shoot both shot and bare ball with 75 grains to good effect.

Sicilian, the 70 grains of 3F and a .600" prb is so accurate (3 shot 3" groups at 50 yards) that I probably won't change a thing about it. Velocity hovers around 1368 fps. 90 grains of 2F gave nearly 1300 fps and accuracy was "adequate" but otherwise nothing special. 70 grains of 3F, felt wad, same volume of #4 shot and os card wad does well at 25 yards but I think I can do better, possibly, with more trials.
Hanshi and EB ,
I shot 3F out of my rifle and was expecting the same feel which I guess is the root of all my doubt.
The weapon is not a custom or a kit gun and the manufacturer only recommends 2F with a maximum of 80 grains.
Are you sitting down?
Here's where you're about to lose all respect for this thread !!
Its an Indian Fusil de Chasse!!!
Considering the tale of woe that is the story of me getting this weapon ( and the premium price I er...got ripped off at...I mean, paid for it), I figure I am married to it.
So here's the deeper question:
Do I just use 3F anyway?

I have been using 90 gr. 3F with .600 ball / .010 patch in my 20 gauge with both shot and ball for years. I have killed deer with it, too. I figured it was somewhat on the heavier side, but recoil is manageable and accuracy is good. After reading this thread, however, I am getting the impression it might be a little more than a little on the heavy side???

Hello All,
I totally concur with most of the posts here.
In my 20 bore, i will use 90 grains 3F and a 600 ball if unpatched (usually) Or a 595 ball if patched. For targets.
I do say though 90% of time i shoot Buckshot for a daily load.

All things equal, 85 to 90 grains may not make too much difference. Most difference i have seen was with my particular physical ability on that day. The FL seems to be much more consistent then I am.

RB, If you are feeling it is heavy, it probably is. Your impressions are more valuable then you think. I might set a target at a range that is consistent with the accuracy of the 90 grains, and try reducing it by 5 grains. Shoot 5 or 6 rounds and reduce more. cleaning after each series.
Eventually the performance will start to drop off.

I have learned its not as important to load for the maximum ability of your FL, as it is for my maximum ability to shoot it. If that makes sense. :)

And just keep in mind that when you shoot a gun, you're not just a man shooting a gun. Fact is you become a single unit with everything you or the gun does affecting the performance.

Hello All,
I totally concur with most of the posts here.
In my 20 bore, i will use 90 grains 3F and a 600 ball if unpatched (usually) Or a 595 ball if patched. For targets.
I do say though 90% of time i shoot Buckshot for a daily load.

All things equal, 85 to 90 grains may not make too much difference. Most difference i have seen was with my particular physical ability on that day. The FL seems to be much more consistent then I am.

RB, If you are feeling it is heavy, it probably is. Your impressions are more valuable then you think. I might set a target at a range that is consistent with the accuracy of the 90 grains, and try reducing it by 5 grains. Shoot 5 or 6 rounds and reduce more. cleaning after each series.
Eventually the performance will start to drop off.

I have learned its not as important to load for the maximum ability of your FL, as it is for my maximum ability to shoot it. If that makes sense. :)
Mike,
Well said!

"And just keep in mind that when you shoot a gun, you're not just a man shooting a gun. Fact is you become a single unit with everything you or the gun does affecting the performance." ...hanshi

If that's true of guns, it's especially so for smoothbores with patched RB's!

When I first built my center Mark TFC I followed their recommendations shooting 80 grains. Tried 75 and had no change so I stayed at 80.
Then I read so many folks on this forum talk about 60 or 65, so I gave it a try. Groups shrunk about an inch or so at 50 yards with 65, so that’s where I stayed.
Duelist on you tube, who I think is duelist 54 here on the forum found bare ball loads of .61 on wads shot best over 110 grains.

I've recently come back from the range with a FdC that I bought from Veteran Arms.
Despite some things that need to be done to the out of the box weapon I'm feeling that the loads of 2F up to and including seem a bit anemic as far as killing power for big game such as deer.
Am I wrong?

In my limited experience with ffg , you will feel less report from the rifle than from fffg.
The same goes for fg as compared to ffg.

The main thing with shooting a large caliber ball with smaller/ lighter powder load is...lack of penetration.

If you hit bone, it can slow the ball down enough that it doesn't penetrate the animal.
If no bones are hit all is well...

I had this happen too me last Season, I was shooting 70 grn of ffg out of my .54 due to a shoulder injury.

I made a less than perfect shot,,.. it happens in the field sometimes , especially with older eyes.

It cost me a good deer, I recovered it a week later after the fact.

Poor shot placement and lack of blood flow = No Recovery.

Smoothbore Loads

Chart courtesy of Goex Powder
[/QUOTE]otot

otot[/QUOTE]
SMO,
It begs the question : up the 2F load or switch to 3F and match it to whatever is safe.
Can't figure out why the manufacturer/builder is saying 2F only

A52E131E-1789-4296-87A8-E95AEFBCB516.jpeg
57A4597D-2A30-48AB-B6C1-6622091DD94A.jpeg
Personal choice, Myself I would not exceed the Manufactures recomendations.
FFFg will create more pressure than the FFg, not knowing what the barrel is made of , its better too be Safe , than Sorry.

Here's the deer I shot with 70 grns of ffg and recovered a week later.

The ball didn't handle the bone very well and did not pass thru ,not the best of shots as I said before.

This was with a rifle however, not a smoothbore.
I’m just posting an example of what can happen with lighter loads.

Last edited:
Back