• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore ignition problem solved. I

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebel

Cannon
Reaction score
had already polished the pan good, opened the vent hole to 1/16", polished the lock parts and oiled it up good. Well today i put the barrel in a leather padded vise and removed the plug. I then put the plug in the vise and using a small cutting bit on my Dremel, i made the notch into a long C shape. I then took a small, fine, cone shaped grinding wheel and polished it up good and then cold blued it. Oiled the outside of the barrel good,and put it back in the stock. I cleaned all the oil out of the barrel and off the lock, loaded her with 70grs. of Goex 2f and wads and shot and fired her 5 times. Every time was a fast ignition like it is supposed to be. I could feel the powder at the vent every time i put my vent pick in after loading. Guess i must have done something right. :applause:I figure if she goes off that fast with 2f, she should be real good with the 3f i normally use. Anyway, thanks to all for the advise and info. Take care.

Good work, Rebel. Sounds like another example of problem solved via constructive input from the Forum. Enjoy the shooting.

do i have a Star mean in the ratings column?

Good job, you got a gold star... :winking: :haha:

You got a star because another member rated your post and liked what you have done, this is a good thing... :winking:

Hey! That's my line, 'ye scurvy dog.

'Twas I what put the star on 'ye. Polishing the pan is one of the simplest and most helpful things to aid ignition that a duffer (a non-smith like myself) can do. Not only does it 'poof' better, but the fouling doesn't dig in and attract moisture as easily for any following shots. And running the flat mating surfaces of lock components gently over a black Arkansas stone or hard ceramic can do wonders by removing tiny burrs.

And it's good to see Musketman is back behind the mask.

thanks ta you then. I'm faily new to flinters, so i may need a bit of good advise now and again. Polishing the pan sure didn't hurt none, but i think the main thing that helped was opening up the notch in the breechplug so powder could get to the vent easier. Now i can feel powder at the vent with the vent pick after i load. Wasn't always there before. Take care, and Watch yer backtrail.

Back