• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoothbore handgun with shot....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious about your thoughts on this. A longer barrel affords more sight radius. But, with a pistol grip, how effectively can you use that improvement? It should also yield improved groups and range.
But it seems to me these cutoff guns are what used to be called belly guns and that a longer barrel hampers that sort of functionality.

Stockless shotguns can be shot reasonably well if held out two handed to see the barrel/sights. Way back in the 1900s I had a break action 12 that was shortened to the legal limits of the day, it wasnt difficult to hit hand thrown objects in the air once the idea of using the sights/barrel to see where its going was utilized. Fast forward to current era, a shoulder injury makes shooting shotguns with stocks pretty much a no-go for me. A 14" gun with no stock is quite comfortable to shoot when extended forward to see the barrel/sight. No, its not optimal, but if the situation dictates something other than a full size and stocked gun, its a workable option.

I believe with any shotgun shooting shot, some load work can improve patterns, and what works with one gun may not always work the same in another. One has to try various things to see if theres improvement before pronouncing success or failure of a given gun or type.

Back