• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoothbore gurus.......I need a little help with a roundball load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Total newbie to smoothbore roundball shooting!! I have only used shot on squirrels to this point but really want to use it for deer. I started with 70 grains of 2f, two thin cards, bare ball, and 2 more thin cards at 25 yards from a rest. Complete miss. I tried again thinking that I may have moved but same result. I then tried the same powder charge with a bear grease lubed patched roundball. Directly in line vertically but about 6" low. I tried two more times and got all three balls to touch but they are about 6" low. Time ran out and I had to stop for the day. I feel good about the shots touching and I think that I am onto something but would like to hear what an experienced roundball shooter's next steps would be. Take a fuller sight picture with the front sights? Im sighting down the flat of the octagon part of the barrel and can see the whole front sight. I am then putting the bullseye on top of the post. Heavier charge? Will a heavier charge will bring impact up enough to get a reliable shot out to 50 yds or more? Not trying to take shortcuts, just trying to save some of these balls if I can.

My measurements are as follows:

Bore: .615"
Ball: .595"
Patch: ??" (Joannes blue pillow ticking) Getting a correct measurement on this is a guess it seems because it measures around .020" when the micrometer touches it and I can compress it passed .010" so I guess my question is how do I measure this accurately? The load is pretty tight to get down the bore, I have to hit it with my palm pretty good to get it going but once it starts its not really difficult to finish with the ramrod.
I use a patched ball; no cards, wads, or any other unneccessary stuff. You need to lower the back of the gun, or see more front sight (or barrel) to get the shot higher; at 25 yd., adding more powder won't raise the hit significantly. Shooting a smoothie is like shooting a bare bow; lots of practise, and minute changes in hold and sight picture until you find what works for you. Once you find what works, practise until it becomes instinctive.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Im gonna try to shoot it some this weekend
So it has been almost a year since you were going to, "shoot is some this weekend."
How did you do.
I'm sure the answer you just got 10 months later was the one you were waiting all year for and would have changed everything,,,, but how have you and the gun been shooting the past 10 months?

Well, I messed with it a little and finally got it to where I would feel comfortable hunting with it. At least to around 50 yards id say. It always grouped the shots well just not where I was aiming. I adjusted how I was aiming and got it at least hitting where I wanted it to. Ive got more guns to take deer hunting so I have pretty much decided to shoot shot out of this one. It wrecks the squirrels when I can find them, I like it! Im sure it will get the better of me and I will revisit it with round balls

Well, I messed with it a little and finally got it to where I would feel comfortable hunting with it. At least to around 50 yards id say. It always grouped the shots well just not where I was aiming. I adjusted how I was aiming and got it at least hitting where I wanted it to. Ive got more guns to take deer hunting so I have pretty much decided to shoot shot out of this one. It wrecks the squirrels when I can find them, I like it! Im sure it will get the better of me and I will revisit it with round balls
Thanks for the update.
Don't give up the roundball now. Sounds like you are getting the hang of it, practice.

Back