Smoothbore/Fowling piece shot pouch pics please?

Discussion in 'Historically Accurate Equipment' started by Brokennock, Feb 6, 2020.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Feb 12, 2020 #21

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

The American Frontiersman above is a cartoon. Would based on this one argue Americans wore bags and horns on the left side? Of corse not.
    We do read of frontiersman getting separated or stuck on their own for some time having a full horn but a bag with few ball, and that person had to live and starve, or not with four or five ball.
    Even on the frontier I wonder how much a shooter packed.

2. Feb 12, 2020 #22

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

So what if you are. Sometimes the same thing said, but said differently provokes other thought and discussion. Part of what I find interesting in this is that here and on one other forum, this question has generated interesting discussions and conversation, on a third forum it was "what you seek probably doesn't exist," and all discussion died.

smo and tenngun like this.
  3. Feb 23, 2020 at 6:07 AM #23

Realwarrior

Realwarrior

Realwarrior

Pilgrim MLF Supporter

My take on the period paintings if that they are artists' renderings for paying clients or painted in hope of finding a buyer. I think part of that is the artist emphasizing the subject of the painting and not the trivial items accompanying the subject. Remember, the artists were painting to make money, not to be authorities on the subject matter. I'm sure some artists' paintings are fairly accurate, a few maybe even quite accurate but if a paying customer told the artist " Make me bigger and everything else smaller" what do you think the artist did? With that answer in mind, which painting do you think survived?
    My bags are built just for my own pleasure. The smaller is for my flintlock smoothbore. It is my turkey hunting bag with an Irish/Celtic style turkey on it. The bigger bag is for my percussion double barrel. IMG_20200223_010249907.jpg IMG_20200223_010458302.jpg View attachment 24715

Attached Files:

smo likes this.
  4. Feb 23, 2020 at 5:36 PM #24

Ruben44

Ruben44

Ruben44

32 Cal

Nice work! Great looking bags. Really like the personal embellishments.

Realwarrior likes this.
  5. Feb 23, 2020 at 8:27 PM #25

Realwarrior

Realwarrior

Realwarrior

Pilgrim MLF Supporter

Thank you

Draft saved Draft deleted