• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoothbore for hunting birds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a CVA 12 Gauge SXS that I have taken everything from Woodcock to Partridge to Canada Geese with. Versatile and light to carry, there is a reason the double barreled twelve was so popular and prolific a long gun in America.

There were many British Double guns made with short tubes in small bores(20>16g) as we had lots of tight woodland and short range shooting. Forget about chokes. They weren't around as such in M/L times and guns can be loaded to compensate. Less powder, less wadding and more smaller shot((7's) There appear to be few doubles made after 1820 with tubes over 32"..So sorry you don't have access to the range of game guns we have here. I had the privaledge to shoot Grey(English) partridge with a Double John Manton 17b Flint gun over Stubble with Springlers in the 70's. It had 26" tubes.. LUCKY OLD DOG..

There were many British Double guns made with short tubes in small bores(20>16g) as we had lots of tight woodland and short range shooting. Forget about chokes. They weren't around as such in M/L times and guns can be loaded to compensate. Less powder, less wadding and more smaller shot((7's) There appear to be few doubles made after 1820 with tubes over 32"..So sorry you don't have access to the range of game guns we have here. I had the privaledge to shoot Grey(English) partridge with a Double John Manton 17b Flint gun over Stubble with Springlers in the 70's. It had 26" tubes.. LUCKY OLD DOG..
These were mostly known has covert guns James Rowntree the builder of the first percussion cap gun built several of these in small bore double barrel with short barrels .
Feltwad

I hunt in the thick woods of southern Ontario and haven’t found a 42” barrel to be an encumbrance. A double barrel wouldn’t be much use to me personally because if I miss the first shot that bird is gone gone gone

Attachments

• 13FFAE04-872F-4245-9AF5-910EB75DFE4F.jpeg
    13FFAE04-872F-4245-9AF5-910EB75DFE4F.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 89
About 1972 I worked near a pheasant reserve in York Co., PA.
Birds didn't seem to care that I used this old perc double ~12 bought in my home town a decade or two earlier. Don't recall details of loading. I think #6 lead shot, loaded about as it had been in 19th century.
Quit when I learned my new wife, an otherwise fantastic cook, did not deal well with BB's.
Moore shotgun 012.jpg

I have a .62 smoothie I built from TVM and a .410 smoothie that was built for me by a friend. The 62 throws a lot of shot. It’s a flint and used it for turkey
The 410 is a percussion and is great for quail. Colorain makes an extra full barrel for turkeys but not legal for turkey shoots

TVM Early Virginia smoothrifle, just ignored the rear sight,
20201107_141353.jpg20201107_133555.jpg
Yes, taken on the wing,,,,,,
In some thin woods at the edge of a field.
I'm a better "jump shot" than a true wing shooter. I do better even with my "modern" side by sides in the brush or woods with a bird that surprises me than out in an open field with lots of room to set up my miss.

I hunt grouse with a single barrel 16 bore flintlock, no choke. 42" barrel and 7 pounds on the nose. I must say I have a lot of fun. But seldom eat grouse.

The past two years I have had a bird dog. That is, I have a dog who flushes birds, sometimes while within 25 yards but occasionally 90 yards, and DEFINATELY helps locate them if hit. But he's an Airedale and I'm no trainer; so it ends up he has a ball and gets exercise. I get exercise. The grouse get exercise. Everyone wins.
Same here. I got a lab/peroneese mix when the kids started on birds. He was a rescue dog. Got birds when I hit them, unless they were in thick brush. (Get a small bird dog) I think he’s an animal rights activist though, he keeps warning them i’m coming, and chasing them away.

Had one of the most amazing bird dogs once , he was an accidental cross between a Perioneese and English setter. He would walk behind you until game was scented or if some shooting started , then he would bolt through the brush and either retrieve the bird , or chase down the wounded game. He looked like a giant cotton ball , was fearless except he would whimper when going through briers while following you on the hunt. He was beyond a goodboy .............oldwood

A year ago this month before the lockdown hit the UK a party of fellow members shooting black powder decided to walk up with dogs the outlying areas of the shoot for the last day of the season which would be more like a beaters day, Knowing that I would not be able to keep up with them I was dropped off at certain places while they walked to me , the weather had been kind there was still plenty of grass cover which made the dogs work hard ,which
100_2981.JPG
consisted of a couple of cocker spaniels and a Labrador There was a good show of game which resulted in a mixed bay of pheasants woodcock , pigeon, and 4 hares plus some vermin. a good walk up day . The lock down followed and I have shot any game since has the lock down is still with us .
Feltwad

Latest posts

Back