• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore flintlock kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wanting to build a smoothbore kit for hunting, reenactment, and hopefully display. Living in the Appalachian mountains my preference would be a kit that reflects the heritage of the history of the area. My research includes Muzzle blast and Muzzleloader magazine, the Foxfire books, and internet searches. Pecatonica, Sitting Fox, and Jim Chambers all offer smoothbore kits. Kibler doesn't have one. Does anyone have other suppliers I can look at before making a decision? Also, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

For what it's worth Kibler will have one in the near future, should be new details coming soon

Sitting Fox offers several styles of smoothbore, including a Appalachian Fowling gun.
While iffy on assembled guns fit and finished, their kits are very good

My first build last year was a NW trade gun kit. I bought it through Pecatonica.
It was a pretty simple build, compared to my rifle.

Attachments

• 20201214_151318.jpg
    20201214_151318.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 99
I’m supposed to be receiving my smoothie kit towards the end of next week from Sitting Fox. I can send you some pictures once I receive it. It’s a ‘Virginia Smoothbore’.

Word of caution, I am on month 8 waiting for it, so don’t expect a fast turnaround.

Edit: I did order a Kibler .58 and had it in about 6 weeks. Finished it up a week ago

Last edited:
Some time ago I called Kiblers and asked about a 54 caliber smooth bore barrel for one of their Colonial kits. At least I think it was Kiblers I talked to, maybe I'm having a Presidential Moment here, but give them a call. At that time they had one in stock. I changed my mind and went to the 40 cal Southern Mtn. Rifle.

Have you gone to any events in your area that reenactors come to? Have you researched reenactor groups in your area you are interested in portraying? Having been an reenactor for 12 years, I suggest talking to local groups and find out what weapons they use before purchasing a musket/smoothbore that you will not be able to use with the reenactor group or groups you might want to join. Spending time researching what it is you want to portray or think you might want to portray will prevent you from buying the wrong style or type of weapon you are looking to purchase right now.

I’m supposed to be receiving my smoothie kit towards the end of next week from Sitting Fox. I can send you some pictures once I receive it. It’s a ‘Virginia Smoothbore’.

Word of caution, I am on month 8 waiting for it, so don’t expect a fast turnaround.

Edit: I did order a Kibler .58 and had it in about 6 weeks. Finished it up a week ago
If you don’t mind please send pictures

Kibler looks great!! If you have any pics of the sitting fox I would love to see it, don't take any for me though.
Appreciate it! The smoothie kit should be in towards the end of next week, or so I’m told. I’ll take pictures of the process 👍🏻

Latest posts

Back