• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoothbore Elk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not out of a smoothbore, but I have taken a small Roosevelt bull with a .62 roundball over 90 gr. of 2f Goex at about 40 yards. One shot, went 14 steps and was down. I can't imagine that same ball out of a smoothbore would have had any different results.
DSCN0442.jpg

I kill animals and eat them, i harvest vegetables from the garden as they ripen and eat them as well. If that offends people well, I no longer compromise with life whiners and bellyacher's. I live in the real world and will not live the lies, half truths and nuanced new age manure being propagated on a daily basis.
Robby
Boy howdy, that is spot on! Thanks
John

Not out of a smoothbore, but I have taken a small Roosevelt bull with a .62 roundball over 90 gr. of 2f Goex at about 40 yards. One shot, went 14 steps and was down. I can't imagine that same ball out of a smoothbore would have had any different results.
View attachment 80792

That sir is just perfect. Nice size western elk (is there any other) 🤔. Just rite for eatin.

Nothing eats like a Roosevelt elk! And taken with a punkin ball in 62 cal is proof in the bread basket. Nice job. Where did you get him at?

This is what this thread is all about ... not a grammar class.

That sir is just perfect. Nice size western elk (is there any other) 🤔. Just rite for eatin.

Nothing eats like a Roosevelt elk! And taken with a punkin ball in 62 cal is proof in the bread basket. Nice job. Where did you get him at?

This is what this thread is all about ... not a grammar class.
Near the mouth of the Columbia River several years ago.

View attachment 80792
I’ve heard Roosevelt’s are pretty darn hard to hunt. This true? They’ve been on my bucket/menu list

Not to beat a dead horse or keep derailing from the OP’s question, but what I think Brokennock is getting at is we all understand what it means to harvest wild animals. Killing is the name of the game. It’s in the very definition of harvest. However, if we are to keep these traditions alive, we must gain support. We’re not going to convince the antis. The ones we are trying to get on our side are the ones on the fence… the ones who've never seen a farm field, much less shot an animal. Those people outweigh us by a good majority. Kids these days think food comes from the grocery store. I would be willing to bet most on the fence would understand harvesting an animal means killing it, but killing it doesn’t necessarily mean harvesting it. Let’s not shoot ourselves in the foot, no pun intended. Just my two cents

I’ve heard Roosevelt’s are pretty darn hard to hunt. This true? They’ve been on my bucket/menu list

Yep they are tough to hunt. The rough country , heavy undergrowth, groves of a substance called viney maple 🍁 can't hardly crawl through the crud. Rain ... did I mention the Rain?

They are the biggest body Elk and seems like always go down in the toughest places to butcher and pack out. Rarely killed near a road.

They are also THE BEST tasting in my humble opinion. I like Rocky Mnt elk but these western Roosevelt's are just the best.

Probably no more difficult than other game. They do live in some pretty brushy areas which are often wet and rainy. Probably the hardest thing in Washington, at least, is to gain access to quality land. Much of the better property is owned by timber companies and they charge for access, often limited in permit numbers. I'm sure that's nothing new for much of the eastern US, but this side of the country is just beginning to see a lot of that.

The "Woke" Commies are upset with the word "kill. "
However in a slaughterhouse there is the "Kill Chain".
I don't think you will ever get the "Woke" nannies to
approve of hunting and killing. They buy their meat
at the store pumped full of chemicals that someone
else killed. Now, they are attacking the word "Mother"
which they claim is "sexist" and want us to call our Mom
a "Birther" and end Mother's Day. I think that an Elk
will be killed with a 20 Gage slug rifled or not if within
reasonable close range and after it's dead you can
bring your old International "Harvester" and pull the
old wagon,Elk on it, home from the harvest to our
loving Mother-- "woke" be damned.

Some people will compromise us out of existence and I will not go with them. I don't live lies, half truths and falsehoods. It is a tough world sometimes and I prefer to face it with reality, not a made up facade of semantical mumbo jumbo! Look at the current state of affairs and the propaganda presented as 'facts' being foisted upon our successors. Or maybe you're all for harvesting ballots.
Robby

Latest posts

Back