• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoothbore barrel ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMA65

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TC Hawken .45 cal. What would be a good smoothbore barrel to get for this gun?
Pilamaya (thanks)

A .45 TC Hawken barrel will be 15/16". Are you talking about having it reamed out to a smoothbore or looking for a replacement so you can shoot both rifled and smooth in the same stock? :confused:

Dave

Yes, an additional barrel to allow shot to be used. I am wanting to go as primitive as possible, and have given just about all of my modern guns to the kids and grandchildren. However, right now I am not much interested in a double shotgun, blackpowder of coarse.

anything you find will either be used or have to be made. there used to be a Spanish company that made 20ga barrels to fit Hawken stocks & 12ga to fit Renegades. and I have seen the Italian guns on gunbroker with 20ga barrels. they are often listed as 20 caliber, due to poor translation I guess.

If you have one made might take a look at an octagonal to tapered round barrel longer than the 28" TC.

get a used tc 50 cal. barrel and have it rebored cost is 50 bucks plus shipping. cost of barrel is up in air. check ebay for one.

Had a .540 dia. smooth barrel made for my lyman by Rice barrel co. Bought a tc breech plug and had him in stall it and then took it to my local gunsmith to have front sight of my choice dove tailed in and dove tailed for barrel wedge. This barrel is about a 30 ga. and 31 in. long have shot turkey, deer and hog with this gun and I make my go to gun when I need something easy to load and accurate out to 50 yards with ball and 25 yards for shot. Pappy :)

bobby hoyt barrels. Bob Hoyt
700 Fairfield Station Rd.
Fairfield, Pa. 17320
ph... 717 642 6696 he just did the 4th one for me.

He's basically a legend when it comes to bore work.

He can reline, rifle, rifle and reline, fresh out, can do just about anything you want. He gets rave reviews, many NSSA shooters have had him reline their muskets and rifles. He is supposedly most reasonable as well, and nice.

I'd contact him. A smoothbore gun like that would be very cool.

had Mr Hoyt rebore a Renegade (one inch) barrel a while ago and i couldn't have been more impressed. He is hard to reach - no internet site, because he's too busy working, which indicates the quality and high demand for his work. If you try to reach him by phone, be patient - the result will be well worth the effort.

If i remember correctly, he will go up to 20 gauge (.62 cal) on a rebore using a one inch barrel... after that, you're running out of material.

Can't remember what i paid Mr. Hoyt (it was less than i expected). I got the barrel from flea bay at a steal because it was rusted, but it was destined for rebore anyway, so i wasn't concerned.

When you add up a new barrel, and the breech plug, and the sights, and the underlugs, and ramrod thimbles, and the assorted other stuff (refinishing, etc.), having a drop- in rebored is the most cost- effective way to go. (In my opinion, anyway.)

Good luck with your project!

The Armi-Sport barrels are marked 20 caliber, but are actually 20 gauge. I bought an Armi-Sport barrel at the flea market for 10 bucks. I had to mill a flat under the snail to get it to drop over the lock, like the TC barrel does. However it is a one inch barrel and will not fit in a 45 stock. I put it on a Renegade stock. It is a ball to shoot. It's chocked also. The barrel hook and snail, are almost identical to the TC. I did have to rotate the under lug, so the barrel wedge, would fit. Not a bill deal.

Latest posts

Back