• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smoothbore barrel wall thickness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I go to Dixons I see that the original double barreled pecussion shotguns have barrels, that look thin enough around the muzzles to shave with.All of the modern ade smoothbore barrels look like they are thick enough to be used as heavy duty machine rollers. One day soon (at my age it has to be soon)I hope to build a Tulle. The originals were under 7lbs. as I understand from the reading I've done. Can anyone tell me why todays makers produce such thick walled barrels? I talked to Jim Getz and he offers, according to him, a real wispy smooth bore up to 48" long. :confused:

Modern shotguns have moderately heavy walls at the muzzle for several reasons.

First, they are usually choked and the decrease in bore size caused by the choke equals an increase in wall thickness.

The outside of the barrel is sized so if the bore is a unchoked cylinder bore there will still be enough material to safely shoot smokeless powder loads out of it, often with Magnum loads.

Muzzleloaders must be capable of loading full sized wads thru the muzzle so choking the bore isn't a good idea. That rules out modern chokes so the cylinder bored barrel wall will look thin.

Black powder usually doesn't produce the pressures of smokeless powders so the muzzle wall thickness doesn't need to be as thick.
That allows the barrel maker to use a smaller outside diameter without it being dangerous.

It also allows the muzzleloading shotgun to have a lighter, faster on target barrel to down those pesky birds.

At least, that's the way I see it. :)

Zonie said:
Modern shotguns have moderately heavy walls at the muzzle for several reasons.

First, they are usually choked and the decrease in bore size caused by the choke equals an increase in wall thickness.

The outside of the barrel is sized so if the bore is a unchoked cylinder bore there will still be enough material to safely shoot smokeless powder loads out of it, often with Magnum loads.

Muzzleloaders must be capable of loading full sized wads thru the muzzle so choking the bore isn't a good idea. That rules out modern chokes so the cylinder bored barrel wall will look thin.

Black powder usually doesn't produce the pressures of smokeless powders so the muzzle wall thickness doesn't need to be as thick.
That allows the barrel maker to use a smaller outside diameter without it being dangerous.

It also allows the muzzleloading shotgun to have a lighter, faster on target barrel to down those pesky birds.

At least, that's the way I see it. :)

That all fits what I can divine. I had a real shock the other day. Doing some cleaning and had occasion to pick up my Navy Arms/Pietta 12 gauge SxS (cylinder bore) at the same time as my grandpap's old Stevens SxS 12 gauge (choked M and F), externally very similar in dimensions in barrel length and stock. Heck the Pietta has to be around two pounds lighter. Between that heavy lock and the thicker barrels on the Stevens, it's easy to see why.

Even though the old Stevens is a cherished heirloom, alongside the Pietta it mounts and swings like a fence post.

bud in pa said:
I see that the original double barreled pecussion shotguns have barrels, that look thin enough around the muzzles to shave with. Can anyone tell me why todays makers produce such thick walled barrels?

Not too many barrel makers make stock barrel profiles that are for fowling guns. Many are patterned off musket barrels, which need to be thicker to accept a bayonet and be durable when used as a club.

Not that many customers really want a pure fowling piece. Therefore many barrels are more suitable for dual use, round ball or shot. Folks shooting turkeys don't need the same balance as a guy shooting grouse.

Also it's harder and takes more care to make a barrel thin. Expect to pay more or possibly wait a long time for a custom barrel.

Rich Pierce said:
Folks shooting turkeys don't need the same balance as a guy shooting grouse.

Also it's harder and takes more care to make a barrel thin. Expect to pay more or possibly wait a long time for a custom barrel.

Colerain is making me a Shortish (33") thinner walled, specifically for wingshooting, full round barrel right now. He promised about 2 months and the price was very palatable. Naturally, I haven't received it yet and can't speak for the quality.

I have had very good luck with Colerain. They can make about anything you want.

As with anyone, custom orders can be a while if they are tooled up to fill production orders, but they can make it to your specs and as stated, prices are reasonable.

Enjoy, J.D.

That's good news, I did not know Colerain does custom work! Always good to have another source. I've used Getz, Rayl, and Charles Burton for custom smoothbore barrels and can now add another.

Because buyers now are interested in choking thier shotgun barrels, either using the modern " screw-in" choke tubes( Pedersoli), or " Jug choked", barrel makers leave enough "Meat" at the muzzles to let this happen. That is one of the reasons the barrels are much thicker than 19th Century and earlier guns evidence.

The other reason for the thicker barrels is " Product Liability"- due to people insisting on using powders NOT intended to be used in MLing shotgun barrels. P/L doctrine is a judicial invention of the U.S. Supreme Court in the 1960s, so it obviously didn't exist back in the 1800s when these early guns were made and sold. :hmm: :surrender: :hatsoff:

Good point on the product liability, Paul. If someone short started a load in a smooth barrel with a thin muzzle wall, it might do more than bulge even with a moderate black powder load.

Back