• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

smooth rifle photos please,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smooth rifle??
Yup. Smooth Rifle.
That's what many call a longrifle which has an unrifled barrel.

Based on many examples of old original guns, there were guns made that look like a rifle in every way, including the shape of the stock, the sights, the butt plate, trigger guard and the patchbox, look exactly like a regular longrifle but, the barrels do not have rifling in them.
This is why people call them a "rifle" even though they don't have a rifled barrel.

Because of their shape and sights, they obviously weren't intended to be used as a fowler or shotgun for "on the wing shooting" and they usually have smaller, rifle sized bores so they do not seem to be something people would call a musket.

Some people think they started out with rifled barrels but the rifling wore out so they were re-bored but not re-rifled. Others, pointing out the fact that the bores seem to be the same size as the rifled guns think the original buyer didn't want to pay for the expense of having the bores rifled. Or, perhaps, the original owner planned on doing a lot of rabbit and squirrel hunting along with some non-flying bird hunting using shot instead of a ball.
If you visit the "Smoothbore" section of the forum you will see that a smooth bored gun can shoot a roundball with surprising accuracy out to and beyond 50 yards so for close up shooting, these smooth rifles can work very nicely.

It does have a rear sight and I shoot it just like a rifle, so close. Have yet to hunt with shot as I use it for deer with prb. Not nearly as good looking as all the above but it works. Still may take him, "Ol' Loudmouf", for squirrel shooting one day. Mostly out of shot right now.

PICT0586-2-1.jpg
and it will kill!!

Not to change the subject, but I wonder how many have fowlers of one sort or another and add a rear sight to them. I'm going to be building one soon and just feel a bit better about shooting roundball with a rear sight, like Hanshi's photo on this thread. I'll probably still use the 24 gauge for shot as well, hopefully shooting at grouse over my setter's points (note that I didn't claim that I'd be shooting grouse, just shooting at them).

I am left handed and right eyed but I didn't know it until my mid sixtys and never tried changing. Now that I have had my cataracts replaced and can see again maybe I'll try it.

Sam

Will is right handed but left eyed. Thanks for the nice comments.

Mike
I too am left eye dominint witch is great for my pistol shooting, but not possible with a long arm! so I use my poor eye. he is so blessed.

I rely like to see the young'uns getting involved in all facets of black powder shooting, but most of all SHOOTING ROCK LOCKS, it is like learning to ride a bike once you learn you will never forget how to do it!

...Others, pointing out the fact that the bores seem to be the same size as the rifled guns think the original buyer didn't want to pay for the expense of having the bores rifled. Or, perhaps, the original owner planned on doing a lot of rabbit and squirrel hunting along with some non-flying bird hunting using shot instead of a ball.
Just to add to the list of good reasons....

It seems logical that a lot of people could only afford ONE gun and just wanted the versatility of the smooth rifle. Being able to shoot ball, buckshot, buck & ball, and small game shot is as versatile as it gets in any weapon and in this respect, the smooth rifle is unmatched. Of course any smooth bore can do that, but the added rifle features make this a natural selection for anyone wanting a rear sight, cheek piece, and other desirable features a rifle has.

Back