• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth bore vs. rifled

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because the bullets need spin to stabilize, no spin and the ball can start to do as it pleases after a distance, rifles imbue spin thus stabilization for a longer period

now as for tank barrels....I think it has something to do with the huge mass of the projectile, it doesn't need much stabilization when you are throwing such a huge amount of weight down range

Modern tank rounds are finned for stability, the fins deploying after the bore-fitting sabot (horrors!) falls away upon exiting the barrel.

The better comparison would be with archaic smooth bore cannons firing round cannon balls. Accuracy could be pretty fair with a closely fitting cannon ball, but poor with a poor bore fit. Now that sounds pretty similar to smoothbore small arms, doesn't it?

Old Timer 48 said:
You know, the Abrams tank has a smooth bore main gun. No rifling. That thing is deadly accurate. So, why is it that smooth bore BP guns are not as accurate as rifled guns?
You are comparing something like this to a roundball? Seriously? :shake:

m710.jpg

Good point, but I would add that a modern tank projectile is closer to the really early cannon and arrows they fired from them. Of course the fletching or fins on those arrows probably got damaged during firing, so they went to round stone balls and later Iron balls.

There has been a lot of discussion on smoothbore vs rifled guns on this forum from the time of the first colonists. Though many people did not seem to need rifled guns for hunting, rifles became the gun of choice most often on the frontier and especially by those who made their living hunting deer for the deer skins.

Gus

Artificer said:
...Though many people did not seem to need rifled guns for hunting, rifles became the gun of choice most often on the frontier and especially by those who made their living hunting deer for the deer skins.

And especially as people started moving west into open country where longer ranges were the norm.

Yet the rifle was developed in Switzerland and what is now Germany centuries before the West was "opened". For hunting little, bitty chamois deer that weigh 60 pounds.

Rifles make a smaller hole & further away for the market/pelt hunters. Smoothbores can be loaded faster when it's your hide that may have a hole made in it.

Yet the rifle was developed in Switzerland and what is now Germany centuries before the West was "opened". For hunting little, bitty chamois deer that weigh 60 pounds.

Rifles make a smaller hole & further away for the market/pelt hunters. Smoothbores can be loaded faster when it's your hide that may have a hole made in it.

CORRECT!

And 28 shots to the pound of lead, and especially when you're talking 40 to 50 shots to a pound of lead plus added range, to obtain a deer, is pretty cost effective, when compared to 24 shots or less when using a smooth bore.

LD

Most will know more than me, but I read one time that the tank computer (Abrams) constantly monitors and figures in about 11 variables while firing.

I do good if I can keep up with the front sight :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Doc

Gyroscopic stabilization, fin stabilized projectiles, not to mention the optics...not sure they're in the same category.

UNLESS someone ' found' or more like 'wove' a tale about Simon Kenton hitting a Shawnee at 3 km while both were running. :rotf:

Back