• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smooth bore success

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradCayton

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've taken a crow, a turkey and many squirrels and rabbits with my NSW trade gun I put together back a few years ago but never got around to taking a deer with it. I decided to give it a go in our 4 day Mountain Heritage season here in WV. I was able to take this small one yesterday evening before going to work. I told my wife it was a sandwich size deer :). My load was 70 grains of 3F, a lubed felt wad and a patched .595 RB. The shot was 40 yards. Not a very good picture but I was running short on time.
8T8X0a7.jpg

Congrats! I'm jealous of the snow. Thw last 4days have been snow less for me in the eastern panhandle!

Good job, We call that size BBQ deer stuff it with apples and put on the 55 gal homemade grill and slow cook, get some beer stash the beer in a snow bank when the deer is falling off the bone enjoy. Years ago when I hunted the mountain state we would get to camp about a day early pop one about that size and if cold enough hang it in a tree if not it went in a big cooler with ice, when the guys left camp the bones went the debris pile, Funny story along about a Tuesday or Wednesday night there was two state police and a game warden who would show up for the evening meal that went on for years, until the older guys started to move on. Them was shining times.

Latest posts

Back