• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth Bore fowler (sbf)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I am new to the sb fowler.
And have guestions on shot.
I have a 28ga trade gun. Some areas I hunt do not allow lead shot..
Any recommendations. I don't plan to use steel. Will nickel, copper, or bismuth work.. someone said the like the new tungsten in modern guns.
Has anyone ever tried glass balls/marbles?

So nickel and copper tend to be nickel or copper plated lead. The coating is there to give a layer of hardness to prevent deformation when fired, and upon impact so that at max distances you get good penetration in the bird.
I know some folks use steel BB's.
Bismuth will work fine.
Tungsten is quite expensive.

LD

Go with Bismuth for the lead-free areas. Cheaper than Tungsten and for the ranges a 28 is great at just as good.

Also, with Bismuth you will not need special wads as tungsten and steel will if you do not want to wreck your bore.
@RHR

Bismuth is as expensive as tungsten BUT you can treat it like lead. Will not damage barrels, no need for shotcups. Patterns well and kills just like lead. Instead of going up 2 sizes when going from lead to steel, you can stay the same size or move up 1 size. I like RotoMetals bismuth. Yes it's expensive but sadly nontox will be mandatory EVERYWHERE for EVERYTHING in my lifetime.

@RHR

Bismuth is as expensive as tungsten BUT you can treat it like lead. Will not damage barrels, no need for shotcups. Patterns well and kills just like lead. Instead of going up 2 sizes when going from lead to steel, you can stay the same size or move up 1 size. I like RotoMetals bismuth. Yes it's expensive but sadly nontox will be mandatory EVERYWHERE for EVERYTHING in my lifetime.
@NorthFork
I have not seen rotometal. Will have to look up. Most times I buy from balistic shot or a reloading supply shop..

Back