• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoldering tow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shooting in a match today, I was useing tow wadding. Got a couple good smoulders and was wondering if it would work to soak it in something, maybe borax ,let it dry or would it hurt the barrel since borax might cause rusting, but as long as the guns cleaned afterwards would it matter?

Shooting in a match today, I was useing tow wadding. Got a couple good smoulders and was wondering if it would work to soak it in something, maybe borax ,let it dry or would it hurt the barrel since borax might cause rusting, but as long as the guns cleaned afterwards would it matter?

I dipped crumpled newspaper in borax and boiling water and it worked great as wadding for my trade gun once dried. Should work fine with tow I would think.

I have used borax treated newspaper for wedding the last three years and have had no issues with it causing rust in my smoothbores.When done I use water soaked patches after using several dry patches to remove the heavy fouling then more dry patches followed by a fluid film soaked patch to coat the bore. I do not have rust!
LBL

Back