• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smoky smell.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question for all you crafty ole timers. I bought a knife on here a while ago. It was used and the previous owner was clearly a smoker. I have been trying to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of the sheath for months now. I’ve tried baking soda and even one of those ozone air freshener things. Does anyone have a remedy that would help.

I bought a leather shooting coat for small bore shooting that was owned by a smoker. I hosed it down with Lysol, turned it inside out, did the same for the interior, and then left it outside on a warm, windy day. Got 90% of the smell out, but never all of it. I don't use the coat now.

ADK Bigfoot

I have a question for all you crafty ole timers. I bought a knife on here a while ago. It was used and the previous owner was clearly a smoker. I have been trying to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of the sheath for months now. I’ve tried baking soda and even one of those ozone air freshener things. Does anyone have a remedy that would help.
Kitty litter

Almost all my gear smells like smoke, oak, hickory, and whatever I use in the camp fire it really doesn't bothered me.

Different smell, but even that odor will shy away game. I like to hunt where people practice smoking. I keep my distance and usually have a successful hunt, just like people used to do me. I call it the invisible driver; works even where driving is illegal.:thumb:

previous owner was clearly a smoker. I have been trying to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of the sheath for months now.
If ya don't like the smell of stale cigarette smoke the fix is pretty easy,
, light a fresh one 😆

Honestly, soap and water, with complete drying. Then, use any of the multitude of leather conditioners available.
I prefer and have used "Snow-seal" for decades,, follow instructions carefully with any product you choose.
Resolve of your issue is available,, it just needs to be done as recommended by the manufacturer.
If you wash an dry, then use Snowseal, and still have a problem(?)
The problem isn't with the smell of the leather,,

I bought a leather shooting coat for small bore shooting that was owned by a smoker. I hosed it down with Lysol, turned it inside out, did the same for the interior, and then left it outside on a warm, windy day. Got 90% of the smell out, but never all of it. I don't use the coat now.

ADK Bigfoot
Take this for what it's worth, since I haven't tried it myself, but.... I would try soaking it in denatured alcohol for a day or two, maybe changing the alcohol once as well. Smells will likely be coming from fat soluble compounds as well as water soluble, and alcohol dissolves both quite well. Plan to restore the oils afterwards, but this should not damage either the leather or the stitching.

Different smell, but even that odor will shy away game. I like to hunt where people practice smoking. I keep my distance and usually have a successful hunt, just like people used to do me. I call it the invisible driver; works even where driving is illegal.:thumb:

Hmmm I've experienced that woodsmoke on my hunting clothes helps me. I even had a buck get wind of me, and instead of scampering off..., he turned and started stamping and huffing at me, and walked toward me. It was too dark to see my sights or he'd a been in the pot for sure. He got tired of trying to get whatever the smell was out of the hedge (where I was hiding) so he sauntered off... of course he left before the sun was up enough for me to shoot... just my luck.

I mentioned this to an "old salt" hunter, who said he thought that hickory or white oak woodsmoke may resemble the scent of a buck, and that buck may have thought a challenger had entered his territory....

LD

I find it hard to believe that a man could smoke enough cigarette's to infuse the shieth of a knife to the point that it is offensive to a non-smoker. I have however used saddle soap on leathers giving off a somewhat pungent aroma that one could describe as a bitter smokey smell.
Robby

Hmmm I've experienced that woodsmoke on my hunting clothes helps me. I even had a buck get wind of me, and instead of scampering off..., he turned and started stamping and huffing at me, and walked toward me. It was too dark to see my sights or he'd a been in the pot for sure. He got tired of trying to get whatever the smell was out of the hedge (where I was hiding) so he sauntered off... of course he left before the sun was up enough for me to shoot... just my luck.

I mentioned this to an "old salt" hunter, who said he thought that hickory or white oak woodsmoke may resemble the scent of a buck, and that buck may have thought a challenger had entered his territory....

LD

This explanation may hold some merit. One thing for sure that buck had a definite fix near your location. If it had been light enough to see your sights I wonder if his reaction may have been different. Maybe he was hunting too.😄

I find it hard to believe that a man could smoke enough cigarette's to infuse the shieth of a knife to the point that it is offensive to a non-smoker. I have however used saddle soap on leathers giving off a somewhat pungent aroma that one could describe as a bitter smokey smell.
Robby

I was given some leather and leather working tools and the previous owner was a chain smoker, man , liked to have never relieved the material of the odor.

Back