Smoking commercial tanned hides?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
Hello all! I made a pair of buckskin pants out of smoked German tanned skins earlier this winter. Turned out pretty good for a first shot at pants. I'm considering smoking them again, since it was a lighter smoke and I rinsed that delightful smell away when I stretched the hides. Now, with me being stuck in the house for god knows how much longer, I figured I would finally get around to making the wife and kid some moccasins. The wife is planning to garden in them this spring and summer, so they'll probably be getting damp at least. The hides I have left on hand to work with are all chrome tanned with the membrane still on. So, should I wait a week until the weather clears and smoke the hides so the moccs don't stiffen up with moisture, or would smoking a commercial tanned hide even do much for it?

Phil Coffins

40 Cal.
Reaction score
All the commercial tanned buck skin I’ve used hasn’t gotten stiff after getting wet with out ever being smoked. That has included German and common American types. Brain tanned buck skin requires smoking as I understand it but I haven’t used that expensive stuff.

Group Builder