• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smokin bushytails

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDF22

32 Cal
Reaction score
Got out this cold morning to do some hunting
79BB9853-FBC6-4E57-88C7-C9F95458D38D.jpeg

I don't know what happened to the squirrels in my area. Lately, I am lucky to see even one squirrel in 4 hours of hunting where in the past it was not unusual to see a dozen or more. I am hoping that come next month, when the squirrel rut starts, I will see more before the season ends at the end of February for me.

During archery season I noticed some days they are everywhere and then on some days where it was warm and the sun out where you would expect to see them, none were seen.

Everytime i'm in my deer blind they are EVERYWHERE! But I am not loaded for tree rats and just watch them.
Then when im squirrel hunting they are scarce.
I think they're onto me...

Nice looking rifle.. what caliber is she?

Exactly the same here. If we lived closer together we could tag team the little heathens! ;)

Sorry, it’s a .36 caliber Pendersoli with browned barrel and lock. Shoots great

if you keep shooting them, then yes they are going to be scarce. they only have one baby once a year.

if you keep shooting them, then yes they are going to be scarce. they only have one baby once a year.
Pictured in this post is a gray squirrel. Throughout most of their range they will have two litters per year, with 2-5 young per litter. Severe food shortage can result in smaller litters or even suspension of breeding. My source for this statement is Leonard Lee Rue III in his work Sportsman's Guide To Game Animals.

When Do Squirrels Have Babies?
Squirrels have two breeding periods per year, one in mid-summer and another in early spring. Young are usually born between March and April, with a second litter arriving around July or August.
Litter size: Female squirrels produce litters between 1 and 7 offspring (typically 5 or 6).

When Do Squirrels Have Babies?
Squirrels have two breeding periods per year, one in mid-summer and another in early spring. Young are usually born between March and April, with a second litter arriving around July or August.
Litter size: Female squirrels produce litters between 1 and 7 offspring (typically 5 or 6).
Boomerang...exactly right. Two litters per year with usually many in each litter. I used to have a tree stand in a "double trunk" tree with the stand on one trunk and literally a few feet away, a squirrel hole in the other trunk. Since the second litter stays in the den the first winter (at least in the North), I would often have multiple young squirrel heads peaking out the hole at me while I sat stand. Pretty neat.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong about that. Squirrels have as many as 8 in a litter, but 4 is the norm. They also breed and have young twice a year.

Back