• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smokepole?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was walking down an old logging road on a public management area with my flintlock Beck rifle when an older guy pulled up in a Toyota Humvee looking vehicle. He looked at my rifle with a big smile on his face and said "YOU SHOOT A SPARKLER'! The conversation was on.

I am a non combat army vet (Germany) from 67-69, he was a retired Gunnery Sgt with 4 or 5 tours in Vietnam and 5 purple hearts. He was as jovial and happy as anyone I have met in the woods, we talked for at least an hour and then parted ways to go hunt.

I ran into him at a car wash that summer, he was wearing shorts, there was very little bare skin on his legs, just multiple patches of scar tissue and hunks of muscle missing from various wounds. He said him and his buddy had a contest to see who could be wounded the most, then he said "I won".

At this point I had so much respect for the man I wouldn't care if he called my rifle the worst pile of pig manure he had ever seen.

Last edited:
Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole! Smokepole!

iu

I just saw on another Forum , one of those smokepolling frontstuffers proclaimed victory since he scored some BH 209…for $36 a pound..

I told him that made Goex seem cheap… even with the hazmat fee…

My guess is real bp won’t work in a frontstuffer smokepoler…lol
You'd be wrong, because it works very well in an inline smoke pole:thumb:

Something in me just refuses to allow me to refer to a BP firearm as as a smokepole, or as a toy. The last smokepole I saw was a 16" poplar tree that was struck by lightning. What was left was definitely a smokepole. When I see the word I see a large splintered tree with steam coming from every pore of the superheated wood. Don't want to handle no smokepole.

Dave
Thanks 1950Dave.....see what ya started?? I can only imagine haw many pages it's going to take to determine, if ever, the meaning of smoke pole😂🤣!!! You're an alright guy....

Something in me just refuses to allow me to refer to a BP firearm as as a smokepole, or as a toy. The last smokepole I saw was a 16" poplar tree that was struck by lightning. What was left was definitely a smokepole. When I see the word I see a large splintered tree with steam coming from every pore of the superheated wood. Don't want to handle no smokepole.

Dave
I've called them smokepoles, charcoal burners, etc. But a toy? Never!

Shooting targets is a game so my flintlock is a toy! Besides, the use of the term annoys the non-gun people.
If a hammer or baseball bat can be a weapon , than a flintlock can be a tool or toy.

The second amendment was about defense of self, community state and nation, but if push comes to shove I don’t think my TFC will be my first choice,
I like to hunt, but las twenty years I can’t say it’s filled out my diet. I certainly wouldn’t starve if I didn’t get in to the woods again.
Yeah my girls are toys.

SPARKLER!!!I I rely like that! I have heard them called a myriad of names, but SPARKLER is a new one and I for one like it!! it sounds warn & fuzzy!! toot.

The difference between little boy toys and big boy toys is that big boy toys will hurt you...bad.
One of my other "toys" is RC airplanes. Get in the way of that prop and see what happens. I know.

wm
Some "little boy toys" have been known to kill...little boys.

Smokepole probably started with us (muzzleloaders) many years ago. I think I've heard the term since I first started shooting them in the early 1970s. I'm not offended by it.

Back