• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoked venison

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tb54

Pilgrim
Reaction score
i just got a good smoker and have been playing with it with fish, but I’m looking foreword to hunting season, and smoking/jerking some venison. Any flavors that clash with venison? and what are some good woods to use? Got a couple apple trees in the back yard that need pruning so I’m looking foreword to trying that wood with venison.

It's going to depend A LOT on the venison. ;)
And the question of is your smoker a "hot" smoker or a smoker with a "cold smoke" capability?

The age of the animal, sex, and what has the animal been eating plays a big part.
Had some venison from a very mature buck who'd been hiding out in a grove of junipers for most of a year...no matter what we tried he tasted like he'd been marinated in Pine sol. :confused:
A nice, fat, three year old doe, which had been eating corn, soybeans, and the local suburban landscaping...., was amazing. So you'll have to do an experiment on a small piece first, so see if hickory, oak, cherry, or apple, or even mesquite, work for you. Maybe a combination of two or more?

A "hot" smoker cooks the meat and adds smoked flavor. A "cold" smoker or cold-smoke-capability is what you need if you're going to salt the hams and then smoke and store and age the hams. Same thing if you're going to make smoked bologna or other sausage for long term storage. (smoked cheeses too) Most folks hot smoke the meat, and serve it the same day.

LD

I've only done deer with hickory or mesquite, both of those taste good to me. Haven't tried apple or cherry wood, just doesn't sound appealing to me except for fish. Some apple smoked steelhead sure sounds good though...I need to go fishing.

*Edit*
Oops, didn't realize this was a pretty old thread.

Latest posts

Back