• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

smoke pipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think it’s the nicotine I smoke for. We hear about how it is more addictive then heroin but I know in my own use it isn’t. I normally smoke once a day, but miss it on some days without any withdrawal symptoms. And having taken care of lots of folk opiat and meth and alcohol withdrawals I can say I’ve never seen anyone going through nicotine withdrawals.
Ive seen a few nervous, and requesting a smoke or a chew, but I’ve yet to have to restrain one, or drug one or see any symptoms of withdrawal.
I like my smoke but don’t suffer when I can’t have it for some reason.
I smoke for the taste, and don’t smoke blends I don’t like. I enjoy the whole experience of a pipe.
“ A pipe give a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth.”

I think part of learning about and try to build something is in the testing.
The first test i did on my fired pipes was to brake pipes apart. I wanted to see what the firing looked like. They all but one fired hard. I need to adjust some things in the clay mix (temper) and the fire temperature.
I had some great offers on doing smoking tests on them but that will have to be put on hold until i do another attempted building.
thanks all for the good words
OU
tom

We hear about how it is more addictive then heroin but I know in my own use it isn’t.

Yeah, and the people that say that have not been around heroin addicts the way I have. In 30 years of policing I've never had to lock up a person who was stealing to support their tobacco habit.

I've smoked a pipe for 40 years, off and on..., normally I smoke one when camping, but haven't been camping this year.

LD

I don't smoke either, but enjoy the smell of someone else's pipe. A fine period pipe like that and this shared informastion could tempt me to try - if only to round out the persona. Those are classics. I'll wait to see your second batch. Thanks for sharing, all.

One aspect of clay pipes I enjoy is that they are designed primarily for leisure times. Unless the shank is quite short it's hard to grip the mouthpiece and use both hands. The longer shanks on many tavern pipes allow the smoke to cool a bit as it's drawn and gives a cool place to support the bowl since the bowls get hot. (A clay bowl using a hollow reed stem can be held in the teeth.) When I use my clay pipe I keep it in one hand. That leaves the other hand free to reach for a drink or turn the pages of a book.

Jeff

Back