• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Smithville, Missouri

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And welcome from Columbia MO . . .

My father that raised me (i'm adopted, and i'm close with my biological parents for the last 6 years) grew up in Columbia. I used to spend quite a bit of time visiting my Grandmother there as a kid. My Grandfather was a professor of political science at Stephens University.

Branden

Welcome.

I got out of the benchrest crowd back when a .222 Rem at 100 yards was the thing. A challenge . . . but too much "formality". And club politics were an ultimate turn off.

Out the back door for offhand shooting at dry rocks in a stream deep in the woods with a flintlock? Much better.

Last edited:
Welcome.

I got out of the benchrest crowd back when a .222 Rem at 100 yards was the thing. A challenge . . . but too much "formality". And club politics were an ultimate turn off.

Out the back door for offhand shooting at dry rocks in a stream deep in the woods with a flintlock? Much better.
Once they started introducing a lot more running, and ridiculous scenarios for stages, I lost interest. Couple that with the politics of it, gaming of stages, and the sucking out of the fun factor, I was done. When they started with the wobbly platforms, and shooting weak side with the rifle tilted 90 degrees one way while standing on a stool after running across a field in Texas in July off the top of a brick wall, I was out. I once was told I had the opportunity to engage a target at 900 yards during a torrential downpour in Florida while laying on the side of a dirt (mud actually) mound. You couldn't see squat past 500, and that was tough as it was. I didn't get mad, I didn't complain, I just didn't go back.

Branden

I've been a precision rifle shooter competitively for quite some time, and it's just gotten boring to me, so i'm stepping backwards in time and getting more and more into muzzleloaders, and blackpowder cartridge rifles, along with casting my own projectiles. Been reading a lot on here and picking up some good info, just finally decided to sign up for an account to post.

Branden

Welcome from the spud state, Idaho. We grow lotsa onions and sugar beets too.

Welcome.

Politics can ruin just about anything including a country.

My father that raised me (i'm adopted, and i'm close with my biological parents for the last 6 years) grew up in Columbia. I used to spend quite a bit of time visiting my Grandmother there as a kid. My Grandfather was a professor of political science at Stephens University.

Branden
Very nice. Not sure your age, but I just turned 60 this summer and was born/raised here (Columbia). Maybe just rose-colored glasses, but as a kid I remember our little town (then) being more like Mayberry than the small city I've now come to call, derisively, "Little Beverly Hills." You could say Columbia is going through some pretty serious growing pains, but it's home and still a nice place to live as long as you can get out to the surrounding country regularly.

Welcome from NW Arkansas. I went to school at CJ. Do you just shoot or do you rendezvous also?

Back