• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smith carbines

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They’re a heap of fun:

Here’s what Ian has to say about them. I love mine!

DE612BD1-9625-4C05-B625-C7329CCE89CF.jpeg

Are these very accurate out to 100 to 150 yrds In 50 caliber?

They can be if loaded properly. I have two Smiths and both will shoot about 2in at 50yd. The thing to remember with a Smith is to not use heavy loads. The action isn't that strong.

Pretty accurate - a lot of N-SSA skirmishers use a Smith carbine, these targets are shot off-hand.

CARBINE
The second largest (next to the musket match) competition within the North-South Skirmish Association is the carbine team match. For the National matches, this competition consists of eight members shooting at the following targets:

• 100 yards - 10 hanging 6"x6" ceramic tiles
  • 50 yards - 32 clay pigeons on a cardboard backer
  • 50 yards - 16 hanging 4"x4" ceramic tiles
  • 50 yards - 16 hanging clay pigeons
  • 50 yards - 16 hanging pot silhouettes

Pretty accurate - a lot of N-SSA skirmishers use a Smith carbine, these targets are shot off-hand.

CARBINE
The second largest (next to the musket match) competition within the North-South Skirmish Association is the carbine team match. For the National matches, this competition consists of eight members shooting at the following targets:

• 100 yards - 10 hanging 6"x6" ceramic tiles
  • 50 yards - 32 clay pigeons on a cardboard backer
  • 50 yards - 16 hanging 4"x4" ceramic tiles
  • 50 yards - 16 hanging clay pigeons
  • 50 yards - 16 hanging pot silhouettes
thanks Columbus

In a discussion involving "accurate" any comment is pointless that doesn't quantify "accurate". While I have 2 Smiths, I prefer my Sharps or PH Musketoon for competition. Both are quite capable of 1in groups at 50yd, something neither of my Smiths can do. My Smiths are repops, but some originals can do it. It's an interesting gun but don't expect accuracy without load development, some modifications and practice.

I understand that an earlier generation of these replica Carbines has a mis-sized bore, or other problem that kept them from being accurate. Has that been corrected on current production? They are neat little guns.

I understand that an earlier generation of these replica Carbines has a mis-sized bore, or other problem that kept them from being accurate. Has that been corrected on current production? They are neat little guns.

Yes, it is a fact and affects early production Navy Arms models. I have one and had to have it relined. Again, in a discussion on accuracy, quantification is required. Very few Smiths, original or not, are going to be under 4moa.

Yes, it is a fact and affects early production Navy Arms models. I have one and had to have it relined. Again, in a discussion on accuracy, quantification is required. Very few Smiths, original or not, are going to be under 4moa.
I would have thought that in a REAL skirmish - at short range -- the carbine would have not needed "target" accuracy. The Smith carbine is PERFECT for the N-SSA rapidfire team matches.
I used to write the R&Rs for the main "Historic Arms Meetings" in the UK and tried to be period-correct as far as targets. The Imperial German revolver target had vertical strips rather than concentric rings -- on the basis that people were taller than they were wide ;-)))

I would have thought that in a REAL skirmish - at short range -- the carbine would have not needed "target" accuracy. The Smith carbine is PERFECT for the N-SSA rapidfire team matches.

I shoot N-SSA and I will tell you unequivocally, I prefer either a Sharps or Musketoon far more than a Smith. While adequate, the Smith is a set of compromises that is far from the perfect solution. The Smith is faster than a Musketoon, but nowhere near as accurate. You can't miss fast enough to hit anything. At Nationals, I shoot the Sharps, it's as accurate as the Musketoon and arguably the fastest gun on the firing line. Why not a Sharps all the time? Making the ammo takes about 10 times longer than the Musketoon. At the big dance, I shoot to win and a compromise gun won't do. At the regionals, I focus on technique and overall accuracy with the 'Toon cuz ammo is really easy to make.

Now on a 2 way range, I'm still with the Sharps or better yet, a Gatling.

Are these very accurate out to 100 to 150 yrds In 50 caliber?
My Smith is accurate to 75 yards and I see no reason another 25 yards would make a difference. The target is steel made by Shooting Targets 7 and is called the "kill zone" target being the size of a white tail deer vital area.
My load is 30 grains of FFFg, a lube wad and the Eras Gone Sharps bullet either as cast or sized to .501".
Usually ignited with an RWS cap, but with the Larry Flees improved fire path most of the time a CCI puny musket cap will work.
A fun gun to shoot.
Bunk

My Smith is accurate to 75 yards and I see no reason another 25 yards would make a difference. The target is steel made by Shooting Targets 7 and is called the "kill zone" target being the size of a white tail deer vital area.
My load is 30 grains of FFFg, a lube wad and the Eras Gone Sharps bullet either as cast or sized to .501".
Usually ignited with an RWS cap, but with the Larry Flees improved fire path most of the time a CCI puny musket cap will work.
A fun gun to shoot.
Bunk

Just trying to be specific, is that target size 8-10 inches, the most common stated size of the kill zone on a deer? Or is it another diameter? Not trying to nitpick you at all, but just trying to give all of us a better idea of the target size you mentioned.

Gus

Back