• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smelly Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years back when I was opening a new tin of RWS musket caps I decided to take a whiff and, yes, I do remember how we were taught to do it in chemistry. Well I didn't do that, just stuck my nose down there and inhaled. I don't recommend that to anyone, no buzz but decidedly unpleasant. BTW the caps worked fine.

I should've seen this coming long before now. Now huffing has moved on from glue and paint to muzzleloading primers.
200w-1.webp

Excuse my ignorance but what does the ( VerD) mean?
Ver B is the tightest fitting #10, then C, then D. When you get a can flip it over and see what Ver it is. I took one out of the D can and tired it on the Pietta cone, I saw no difference, I have Bs here also.

I set them out over night the smell is gone. So next time out, these will be the first to go.
BTW when you make caps, you take a drop of acetone and drop it into the cap, then the powder mixture. When the smelly stuff dries, they go bang.
These might a been a tad green for sale.

Ver B is the tightest fitting #10, then C, then D. When you get a can flip it over and see what Ver it is. I took one out of the D can and tired it on the Pietta cone, I saw no difference, I have Bs here also.

I set them out over night the smell is gone. So next time out, these will be the first to go.
BTW when you make caps, you take a drop of acetone and drop it into the cap, then the powder mixture. When the smelly stuff dries, they go bang.
Never heard of different size variations for #10 and #11 caps. When you buy Remington or RWS, you either buy #10 or #11, that's it, no hyphenated alphabet extensions. I've got some older cans of Remington #10 and #11, and there is no size difference between the two, both are the same. Even used a micrometer and i.d. and o.d. measurements are the same. This CCI #10, C, D, is more than likely worn or loose tolerances in their forming dies. They're probably running 3 punch presses, the oldest worn dies is VerD, the second most worn of the three is VerC, and the new dies are #10. I would suspect the #11 press is running the VerE forming punch. I have much past experience with punch presses and using forming dies and I can see this happening very easily.

I guess like tomatoes and bananas they ripen up 😅 I get a whiff of that solvent smell on occasion when opening GI ammo cans storing military surplus ammo. Acetone is used in smokeless powder manufacture and some gradually off gases and escapes from even from water proofed necks and primers. Eons ago I broke down some old Soviet stuff (before being common as weeds) for the bullets and was surprised at a bit of gas escaping from the case necks when wobbling the bullets to loosen them in the paper thin Russian brass for pulling. YMMV

I guess like tomatoes and bananas they ripen up 😅 I get a whiff of that solvent smell on occasion when opening GI ammo cans storing military surplus ammo. Acetone is used in smokeless powder manufacture and some gradually off gases and escapes from even from water proofed necks and primers. Eons ago I broke down some old Soviet stuff (before being common as weeds) for the bullets and was surprised at a bit of gas escaping from the case necks when wobbling the bullets to loosen them in the paper thin Russian brass for pulling. YMMV
That is the smell of freedom.

Back