• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smashin' Punkins Ends Oct. 31st, 2012

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
This contest is based on an idea our member Pacobille sent me in a PT. It sounded like a fun way to keep those members who don't have a pistol busy whilst the rest of us are duelin'.

Even if you are dueling, you can still get in on this one too. :thumbsup:

The target is a standard 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of typing/printer paper with a 3" circle drawn in the center. A 3" target sticker such as the orange Birchwood Casey target spots may also be used. These will represent your "Pumpkins".
You can even draw pumpkin faces on 'em if you want. :)

Set up one target at each distance of 25, 50, and 75 yards. targets must be marked as to which distance the target is set up at.

Shoot at each "pumpkin" until you get a ball completely inside the circle.

Each target will be worth the same amount of points as the yardage it is set up at. BUT a ball that cuts the line and is not fully inside the circle is minus 5 points and each ball fully outside the circle is minus 10 points.

One target at each distance. No do-overs.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading rifles (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock ignition. (you can use a smoothbore or pistol if you would like)

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots will be taken off-hand at 25, 50, and 75 yards.(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso)(In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle)

One entry per member.

Mutilated targets will be disqualified.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

Ties will be settled by whose shot is closest to center. Each shot will be measured from the center of the hole to the center of the target.

The center of the target will be determined by the judge.

Judges decisions are final.

Each contestant's score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name must be written on your targets.

The contest runs thru October 31, 2012.

Mail your target postmarked by November 1, 2012 to;

Jim Green
P.O.Box 322
Pekin, IL 61555

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Be safe and have fun! :hatsoff:

Grey Whiskers said:
Can we shoot real pumpkins and mail em to ya? :hmm:

That was my original idea, minus the mailing part. Miniature pumpkins are much much fun to shoot at than paper!

Dang, Jethro, this sounds like a REAL shooting match, maybe the best one we've had, hope I still think so after I shoot it. Deadeye
Remember no fair shooting 1st then drawing the circle.

Hope you get 'er done Hanshi. It sucks when the range is closed all season. They were re-doing mine last summer... alllll summer.

Ya know, this one COULD have a winner with a negative score. :hmm:
Guess it depends how good or bad you guys are shootin'. :haha:

Well, I went and smashed some pumpkins this afternoon. It was a glorious fall day, with temperatures near 70 degrees and very little wind.I was shooting in a public forest, about 30 minutes from my house.

I started at 25 yards, with my .50 caliber TC Hawken. First shot was just off the circle, which is usual for a clean barrel. The second shot was in the circle, close to center. So 25 points for the hit, minus 10 points for the one miss: 15 points at 25 yards.

I moved the target 25 paces, and loaded again without cleaning. The first shot hit the bull's eye: 50 points at 50 yards.

I moved the target back another 25 paces. Why clean? This thing is shooting so well! Wrong idea: I missed high right. Then, I missed low right. Then I missed wide left. At that point, it dawned on me that cleaning might be in order. The fourth shot was wide right, but just off the circle. I should have cleaned earlier. The fifth shot was in the circle. 75 points, minus 40 points for the 4 misses: 35 points.

Grand total: 100 points, out of a possible 150 points.

I'll bee shooting next weekend. Thanks for putting this on, sounds like a lot of fun.

Participation for this one was kinda slim...
We'll blame it on everybody being busy gettin' ready for deer season and tryin' to squeeze in one last rondy before winter.
Couldn't have been 'cause it was too hard. :wink:

Our winner is...
Deadeye with a score of 145 points out of a possible 150! :hatsoff:
He cut the line with his first shot on the 75 yard line. Good shootin'!

Pacobillie came in 2nd with a score of 100. His first shot on the 50 not only stayed in the circle but cut the X. :thumbsup:

And we'll go ahead and give a 3rd place to MDK_WV even tho he only finished the 25 and 50 yard targets before running out of ball on the 75. 30 points on the first 2 targets and he did it with a smoothbore. AND he drew punkin faces on his circles, that's worth some credit. :grin:

Thanks for playing guys. :hatsoff:

Jethro224 said:
Couldn't have been 'cause it was too hard. :wink:

Well, that 75 yard target was anything but easy. It is amazing how much harder it is to hit, or even see, that 3 inch circle at 75 yards, compared to the same target at 50 yards.

Too bad we didn't have more shooters, having 2 shoots at the same time probably didn't help. I only shot the Pumpkin one. Weather here was beautiful then, since then in been snowing temps. down close to 0. Congrats to Pacobille and anyone else who shot, others missed a good shoot.
Deadeye

I really did want to get involved in this pumpkin shoot and I even tried but as I was sighting down the barrel, aiming at that smiling face carved into it, it seemed to be saying "WHY ME--WHY ME". That just broke my heart. :redface: :redface:

Vern

[Our winner is...
Deadeye with a score of 145 points out of a possible 150! :hatsoff:
He cut the line with his first shot on the 75 yard line. Good shootin'!

Pacobillie came in 2nd with a score of 100. His first shot on the 50 not only stayed in the circle but cut the X. :thumbsup:

[/quote]
Congratulations to Deadeye and Pacobillie :hatsoff: for some fine shootin.
My wife was with me at the shooting range and said, "What to you mean you didn't bring enough balls, what about these?" while she held up a bag of .490 roundballs. I had my .62 smoothbore with me that day. :redface: :doh:

Back