Quantcast

Smart Balls

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

RB POWELL

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm asking this because I need a break. If I bend a rifle barrel around an oak tree, will it shoot in an arc till the ball eventually drops to the ground, or hits the chipmunk hiding behind another tree? I should know these things.

pa woods roamer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have shot quit a few smart arse balls. Will be shooting a good group and , of course. that is when the smart arse ball will show it `s face and be 6 or so inches away !!

Reaction score
Bending barrels to correct point of impact issues is historically correct. Just be sure you do it properly,

RB POWELL

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot quit a few smart arse balls. Will be shooting a good group and , of course. that is when the smart arse ball will show it `s face and be 6 or so inches away !!
I guess some of them have a mind of their own, no matter where you point em'.

Enfield58

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Are you in the northern or Southern Hemisphere?

Is the barrel bent around the tree in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction?

Is the rifling a right or left handed twist?

This makes a difference.

Rifleman1776

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
My smart balls hit the 'X'. Stupid ones end up in the five or six ring.
And, no, the ball will not travel in an arc. Once it leaves the muzzle it will travel in a straight line.

RB POWELL

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
And, no, the ball will not travel in an arc. Once it leaves the muzzle it will travel in a straight line.
Dang. I was afraid of that. No wonder I keep missing.

SDSmlf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So, no change in elevation as the ball travels down range???? Would call those magic balls.

jdw276

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm asking this because I need a break. If I bend a rifle barrel around an oak tree, will it shoot in an arc till the ball eventually drops to the ground, or hits the chipmunk hiding behind another tree? I should know these things.
I use the wrinkled balls that i cast up. Wrinkles act like seams on a baseball. I can get em to curve to about 8 inches so far. Calm day, aim center bull, hits 8" most right or left depending on which way i load the wrinkles. Check my targets, i can prove it.

bisleyjohn

Pilgrim
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Every ball I shoot is a dead centre bull when I load it! :)

After that ?......

RB POWELL

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I use the wrinkled balls that i cast up. Wrinkles act like seams on a baseball. I can get em to curve to about 8 inches so far. Calm day, aim center bull, hits 8" most right or left depending on which way i load the wrinkles. Check my targets, i can prove it.
Wrinkled balls? I can relate to that...

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
A "truly smart ball" requires a tiny gyroscope to be inserted into the ball's center. Otherwise it will be a "stupid" ball. I seem to shoot ONLY "stupid" balls.

RB POWELL

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This is getting com
Are you in the northern or Southern Hemisphere?

Is the barrel bent around the tree in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction?

Is the rifling a right or left handed twist?

This makes a difference
This is getting complicated!

Latest posts