• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smallbore choices

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozz

32 Cal
Reaction score
so when my son and I built his Traditions kit, I felt that if I ever bought a ML, I would want a small bore gun like a .32.

But after doing some research, I’m not sure. I was thinking about something on the quieter side, around 1100-1200 fps. I was hoping to be in the 120-150 fpe range, be relatively quiet, use .310 size buckshot, not a lot of powder, etc.

But I understand that the .32 need a 30 or 32 twist barrel to do this and everything sold now is 48 twist. Accurate I understand but also a lot hotter at 1800 FPS or so??

So, I have two questions.

1. Is there a source for a 30 or so twist .32 caliber muzzleloader that is affordable?

2. If I move to a different caliber, what is considered to be the best for target shooting and small game?

By the way, thanks for your patience and all the help.
Paul

1. You will likely have to have a barrel made. Rice offers custom twists at additional cost. I think Bobby Hoyt can put any twist on a barrel. Oregon barrels can be made to any twist. So affordable new manufacture is probably not likely. Its search the used classifieds and have patience. A T/C Cherokee is a possibility.

2. Caliber choice will depend on range and game with 40 or 36 being good choices.

s
But after doing some research, I’m not sure. I was thinking about something on the quieter side, around 1100-1200 fps. I was hoping to be in the 120-150 fpe range, be relatively quiet, use .310 size buckshot, not a lot of powder, etc.

But I understand that the .32 need a 30 or 32 twist barrel to do this and everything sold now is 48 twist. Accurate I understand but also a lot hotter at 1800 FPS or so??

I have to question your sources a little based on my own shooting of a 32 Crockett (1:48 as I recall) and my 30 cal custom (.290 ball), also with 1:48 twist. I wasn't looking for quiet loads so much as combos that didn't blow tarnation out of small game if head shots wandered down into the neck or shoulders. Either of those balls lands with a larger frontal area than a 22 can manage after penetration and expansion, and they can sure be lots more destructive if you don't get the velocity down into the realm of a 22LR or slower.

Both of those rifles absolutely love 10 grains of 3f, virtually stacking the balls on top of each other at 25 yards. Never chronoe'd them but I'm not picking up the crack of supersonic loads. Trajectory is flat enough for shots to at least 35 yards, about as far as my old eyes can manage on bunny heads these days.

In your boots I'd be thinking about other things than twist rate for small cals. Get below 32 and you're in the realm of custom jag accessories and really skinny rods, both tough to source while you can get 32 cal gear right off the shelf. If I was to have a barrel built for either, the style (round bottom vs square) and depth of rifling would be the bigger consideration for function in the field. The whole twist rate thing is as overblown as a political campaign in my experience. Our forebears mostly used 1:48 in rifles of all calibers and tended to light loads, and we sure get a lot of accuracy tales and tall tales from those fine old guns.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be considering a .40 caliber. They make for a very nice target load and very versatile.....I've even known guys that loaded them up and took deer with them. Components and equipment are readily available as well.

One of the really big items that affects noise at the shooter is barrel length. I regularly shoot 18 gr loads out of my 48" barreled 38 for velocities in the 1050 fps range (83 gr ball). You really don't even need hearing protection it's so quiet.

Brown Bear is correct. I have 3 .32's with the 1:48" twist. 10 grains of 3f is a very accurate load out to about 30 yards, and the noise is no louder than my .177 pellet rifle out of a 42" barrel. I have one target .32 with a 1:30" twist. It will shoot great groups with anything under 30 grains of 3f. Noise is not very noticeable.
If you are looking for a production gun that is available with a 1:36 or less twist, I would keep my eyes open for a used T/C Cherokee. The used prices for these guns is more that what they cost new.

Noise and velocity can be controlled by simply using less powder. Why do you require the quiet loads and for what reason? I'm just curious.

I have Traditions Deerhunter that also is very accurate with about 12 grains of 3f out 25 yards or a bit more. Not so much at 50. If I use around 30 grains it does fine at 50. I think it is 1 in 48 twist as many above have noted. It is a versatile little fun. A great plinker and small game gun.

Have Pedersoli Scout (believe that’s what it is called) in a 32 flint with a 1-48 twist 28” long barrel. Swaged 1-1/2 Buck over 12 grains of fff Swiss gives around 1000 FPS. 2000 FPS somewhere between 40 and 50 grains. Shooting 12 to 15 grains center of squirrel head at 25/30 yards with an under chin hold (about an inch above front sight) and maybe less than an inch low at 50. Probably a foot and a half or so low at 100 yards. 22 RF noise level.

Latest posts

Back