• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Small Siler Flintlock tough on flints.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 40 cal custom made flintlock that is finicky in spark and seems to eat flints. I cannot get 5 shots off without reknapping the flint. Any recommendations, thoughts?

Check the strike angle. The flint is probably hitting at an acute angle instead of a slicing angle. That is a sure flint breaker. Also make sure the frizzen is opening smoothly with no gritty feeling. Polish the spring and foot then grease it. A picture would help.

Last edited:
I have two small Silers and they work very well. I did have a problem with one installed on a pistol with a single trigger. The fly was low and visible such that it interfered with the cock. Simple cure was removing the fly. I agree that the flint must be hitting the frizzen almost straight on instead of at an angle. That can be taken care of very easily by adjusting the flint.

I have tried smaller flints and so far so good. I’ve had a small Siler lock backordered from TOTW for 3=months so having Chambers work on it is out of the picture, I believe makes them for track. I’ll try to get a pic on this weekend.

Lock spring seems strong when compared to other locks, no gritty feel when moving frizzen. 42” swamped barrel, rifle weighs 5 lbs 12 oz empty, that’s why I bought it. Now if I can get the more dependable. Here’s a pic.

Attachments

• CA501839-8F4E-48D2-B010-7B069950A737.jpeg
    CA501839-8F4E-48D2-B010-7B069950A737.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Let's see a picture with the frizzen open.

Also specifically what is the reliability problem?
Flash in the pan?
Not setting off the pan charge?
Breaking flints?
What powder are you using?
Is the flint dull?

Sending it somewhere should be a last resort if you simply cannot solve the problem yourself. You say so far so good with smaller flints. I was going to ask you if it improved any with knapping the flint shorter. Your picture shows a darn near 90° strike at the top of the frizzen, and it should be slightly more angled down than that. It's supposed to be a fast scrape down the frizzen that pushes the frizzen away, not a slam bump that knocks the frizzen over. There's things to do with that flint before you throw your hands up and pay somebody else to deal with it.

Back