• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small siler flintlock reviews?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skwerleater

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am considering converting a cap lock from a small siler percussion to flintlock. Do any of you have experience with a small siler flintlock? I heard from one person that they are not as reliable as the larger siler. Anyone who has used one please share your opinions.
Thanks, Skwerl.

I own rifles with with small and large Silers. I have not experienced a difference in performance or reliability between them. Both have performed very well for me over many years. I perceive the small Siler on my squirrel rifle to be one of my fastest locks, and superb for off-hand shooting.

For the past 10 years or so the small Siler has had the same guts as the Late Ketland. Early small Silers were more finicky.

Hi,
Prior to 2005 or so the small Siler locks from Jim Chambers sparked well and were fast but the half cock position was too close to the frizzen such that many flints were too long to allow the frizzen to close properly. Chambers redesigned the tumbler and the newer locks function very well in all respects. If you end up buying an older lock, I believe Chambers sells a replacement tumbler for it. I've used quite a few small Silers and have turned a few into nice English locks as well.

dave

I have both a squirrel rifle and a pistol with small Siler flint locks and am quite satisfied with them. Just my impression but in general small locks seem to be a bit persnickety compared with the larger locks. Both my small Silers, however, don't give me any issues not shared by other locks. When I take either one of them out for exercise I have full confidence in their reliability. In fact the bulk of my shooting has been with the little .36, small Siler-carrying squirrel rifle.

Thank you everyone for responding. It sounds like a new small siler will work out just fine.

Back