• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Small pen light for bore inspection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frod733

40 Cal
Reaction score
Greetings all

Looking for a small diameter bright pen light that I can drop down the bore of a muzzleloader to inspect the bore. Would like to have one that will work down to at least 45 caliber barrels.

I bought one a while back at an auto parts store that was ideal. That is not working well now, and they store no longer carries those. Checked ebay and nothing there small enough.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks, have a blessed Christmas.

Thats where i got the original one, but went to two Oreilly stores and they did not have them, nor were they in their company inventory any longer.

That may be an option, but I really need one to reach down into 45 caliber bores.

The LED fishing bobber lights come in green or red. I haven't seen them in clear but the green works pretty well and would probably work down to 32 caliber. They are refills for a bobber. They even have an on/off switch. They run about $3-$4 at walmart or Academy sports.

Thats where i got the original one, but went to two Oreilly stores and they did not have them, nor were they in their company inventory any longer.

Welp, I tried.

The Log Cabin Shop has them if you want to order.

Red or green. Both work well in .32 and up for me. Just do a --> thill led bobber batteries
search on Amazon or the Bay

Thanks
O.R.
ML Bore light.jpg

I've use bobbers, the color bothers me. I use 1/4" pieces of aluminum rod (hardware store) Ball point pen tops or jags with aluminum foil! Drop them down the bore and then shone a light down the bore. carry a light and one of those pieces to gun shops and shows. Simple and will save you hundreds!
Nit Wit

73 YO and I am blind in one eye and don't see real good out of the other. I bought an "Industrial Endoscope Borescope Camera" for $50 on Amazon. It does a real nice job. It is not the kind of thing that gets used frequently, but has held up for me so far.
It was a big help with a plumbing leak we had, and a couple of buddies borrow it now and again for various projects.

O'Reily's doesn't carry them any more. I've had a couple and they eat batteries. They are also so bright, when they work, that it was hard to see much in the bore. Bobber lights work well and long.

I too discovered the fishing bobber light trick, but only after I used a very similar (slightly smaller) light stick from my archery cabinet (illuminated nocks use them).

And for those of you who hunt, I find these little tiny lights (green in particular) a nice little "area light" for setting up in your tree or ground stand when you're starting off a day of hunting and it's pitch black outside. They put out enough light to see what you need to see to get setup without blasting the area with bright, white light.

Latest posts

Back