• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Small game rifle options?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'd look at a Dixie Cub rifle kit in .32
View attachment 14968
All you have to do is a little sanding, then stain and finish the wood, and I'd save up for the Kibler Kit in .54 and use that for deer. Buy the Kibler in .36 and you have to save up that much more money to buy your next Kibler Kit in a deer caliber...,
..., unless you want to go for a .40 in a Kibler.:thumb:

LD

Well, I was a little torn about the .40 for everything aspect of it. Believe me it's very tempting. But i always considered the .40 a somewhat close range game for deer, and i have a .62 Fusil de Chasse that would work fine at those distances.

I think (but obviously don't know) that a .40 loaded light would be great for squirrels. But i hunt near populated areas on public land and would have to be more conscious about where that ball gets flung to if I miss. Maybe splitting hairs I guess, and I reckon one always needs to be conscious of that.

I need the rifle mainly for squirrels, so I guess .32 may be the best bet. Never had one that small. My only concerns are getting a decent ramrod and attachments for it. Some say they foul easier, I don't know, but I usually wipe between shots when hunting anyways so I ain't worried if that's the case.

I've been looking at all the other options, Pedersoli, traditions, etc. I think for the money the Kibler will be worth it. Top grade barrel, nice lock and a breeze to put together. The Sitting Fox kits look great for the money, but a lot more opportunity for me to screw it up!

The Sitting Fox kits look great for the money, but a lot more opportunity for me to screw it up!

Well you should know that the Sitting Fox guns are sometimes contracted out...meaning they get one builder to do one rifle and the next order might be a different builder for the same rifle (if you have any work pre-done by Sitting Fox). IF you look close at pricing, Sitting Fox will partially complete the kit for you, OR even complete the rifle "in the white", which is a fully functioning rifle or gun, but you have to finish the wood and polish the metal, similar idea to the Dixie Cub above.

Mr. Kibler does all of his stuff in house.

IF you already have a smooth bore, I agree, you want to do a .32, but seriously if you have housing close by you might limit your shooting squirrels out of the tree to shooting shot. Years ago I tried barking some squirrels as I had read about in old journals. So I shot the branch under the squirrel with my .54. It works quite well. Then my hunting buddy asked me, "Hey Dave after that ball goes through that small branch, where does it come down?" :oops: I switched to a trade gun for most of my squirreling.

So with the .40 I have to work harder...it would be the same if I had a .32

OK shot
SQUIRREL OK SHOT.jpg

Tempting but not quite right, so I have to maneuver on the squirrel...
SQUIRREL ALMOST OK SHOT.jpg

Now it's good...
SQUIRREL NOW OK SHOT.jpg

So I have to either get them on a log on the ground or get them with their noggin between me and a good sized tree trunk. Even with a light load the .40 is a head-shot rifle. ;)

LD

I believe that gun from Kibler is offered in .45 as well. You could have a deer gun and squirrel gun all in one! It' just a matter of loading techniques, and as they say, "beware the man with just one gun, he'll know how to use it" Good luck.
Robby

I have a 32 capper and think it makes a good gun for squirrel with a light load. I shoot about 12 grains and it is accurate to 25-30 yards. It drops off after that. That distance is a good squirrel range.

My gun is a Traditions Deer Hunter and has an aluminum ramrod. Not traditional but works well.

Well, I was a little torn about the .40 for everything aspect of it. Believe me it's very tempting. But i always considered the .40 a somewhat close range game for deer, and i have a .62 Fusil de Chasse that would work fine at those distances.

I think (but obviously don't know) that a .40 loaded light would be great for squirrels. But i hunt near populated areas on public land and would have to be more conscious about where that ball gets flung to if I miss. Maybe splitting hairs I guess, and I reckon one always needs to be conscious of that.

I need the rifle mainly for squirrels, so I guess .32 may be the best bet. Never had one that small. My only concerns are getting a decent ramrod and attachments for it. Some say they foul easier, I don't know, but I usually wipe between shots when hunting anyways so I ain't worried if that's the case.

I've been looking at all the other options, Pedersoli, traditions, etc. I think for the money the Kibler will be worth it. Top grade barrel, nice lock and a breeze to put together. The Sitting Fox kits look great for the money, but a lot more opportunity for me to screw it up!
Any caliber rifle will make hamburger out of a squirrel. Think.22 mag. Taking body shots. I favor .36 because you get a full 5/16 ramrod. Plus the balls and cleaning stuff is much less fiddley. On the range it carries better at 50 yds in the breeze. Definitely better for fox or coyote medicine. Kibler’s kits are hands down the best for a raw beginner. BJH

Dont worry about accessories for a 32 they are readily available. There is a guy on ebay who makes custom brass rods for about any rifle which are nice when loading and will fit under the barrel just like wooden ram rod

Gentlemen, It's a matter of preference. I've had .32's, .36's, and finally a .40 for small game. Settled on the .40 for ease of loading, less fouling, fewer busted ramrods, and with a little "adjustment" to the load it's useful for mid-sized game and varmints. It's all according to what ye prefer and what works best for ye, presuming legality. One friend of mine hunted deer regularly with a .38 caliber rifle built by Judge Resley. He used the same rifle for squirrels and rabbits. Another friend got aholt of an octagon .22 caliber barrel and built a tiny flinter around it. Had to use a metal ramrod, but aside from that it worked fins, and he could get cast lead ball made for shotgun reloaders so didn't have to pour his own. I've successfully hunted Snowshoe Hare up north with a .50 caliber but if ye do that, ye need to stay with head shots or ruin a lot of meat.

Nothing wrong with 32 caliber guns. Will easily make headshots on squirrels at 30 yards, and with practice will work out to 50 yards. Personally, use Ballistics Products 1-1/2 buckshot in my 32s. 8 pounds, 1200+ rounds for just under $40. Over 12 grains of Swiss fff means dead tree rat.

Is the ballistic products are round with out a flat spot on the side?

Is the ballistic products are round with out a flat spot on the side?
They are swaged with no flat spot. The 1-1/2 buck that I have from Ballistic Products measure a bit over .310”. Over 12 grains of fff Swiss hit 1” above point of aim (center of squirrel head with chin hold) at 25 yards, about an inch low at 50 yards.

The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio has several used 32 and 36 caliber rifles available. Most of there rifles are contemporary rifles. You may want too look on there website, I am sure they will ship you a rifle. The Kibler Rifles are indeed a great investment. Jim Kibler does a fine job on his rifles, I have been to his shop. You will not be dissapointed, if you have average skills you will produce a fine looking rifle. His rifles are all inletted and the metal parts and drilled and tapped for perfect alignment. However they are available in flintlock only, not sure what you are looking for.....
Anyways go to Logcabinshop.com
Good Day, Gordy

I took my Crocket out yesterday and was using 12 grns of 3F and .31 prb. That load chronographed it 1400 fps. I was amazed at the velocity. I then pt 20 grns of 3F, same prb and the velocity came out to 1783 fps. Holy smokes, I think I'll stick with the 12 grn load as it shot well, no recoil, little smoke, not much noise, and it loaded easily.
For shooting squirrels and rabbits at 20 to 30 yards it seems completely adequate.
I'm not one that prefers beautiful rifles so the crocket is ok with me. less expensive, really accurate,lightweight, decent sights and trigger. For about 4 C notes it does the job as well for me as a rifle that costs 1 or 12 C notes. Beins I'm basically cheap the Crocket is a keeper. I don't have to worry much about dings and scratches which I am prone to put on guns.

Alright, so I bought a rifle. Or a rifle kit anyway. I talked to Mr. Kibler himself this morning and plunked down a deposit for a SMR kit in .36 caliber, with a "fancy" walnut stock. I figured the walnut would be less work to finish, and it just seems more proper to me on a southern gun anyway. Went with .36 caliber so I could "load it up" and go after a little bigger game. I just hope I don't regret not getting a .40 for a "do it all" rifle. But I have to remember I have a .62 smoothbore for big stuff!

I'm beyond excited. Now if i can just put it together!

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I'll probably be back once I get started on it asking for tips!

Thanks Ricochet! I have been watching his videos since they came out, they are a great resource.

Do you have any pics of yours posted anywhere here? I forgot to ask Jim if he had any ash stocks available.

Thanks Ricochet! I have been watching his videos since they came out, they are a great resource.

Do you have any pics of yours posted anywhere here? I forgot to ask Jim if he had any ash stocks available.

I’m about finished with one of Jim’s kits . It’s a 50 cal but I have a tip Curtis 32 cal shoots great.

Let us know how it turns out! You know, I called Tip a couple times but never got an answer. He aint too far from me and I figured it would be nice to ride up and try on a gun or two. Glad to hear yours is a good shooter.

Where in Bama do you live?

I built a Tn .40 then a Kibler .32, for the least aggravation and and a wonderful finished rifle I would go with the Kibler.

My .40 was from precarve with a number of issues from the company that shaped it, it was poorly done. I probably spent more time making the bad precarve work than I spent on the entire Kibler build.

My Kibler;

kibler best side.JPG

Back