• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Small game loops on bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am adding two (maybe 3) bags to my equipment, so that I will have one bag for each of my primary Rifles. I saw the bag in the photo below and thought the small game loops (At least that's what I think they are) would be great to have on the bag for my new .32 Cal Flintlock.

Are they HC on Shooting bags?
Do you have them on your bag?
If so, do they work out, or does the game bang around too much?

(I shamelessly poached this photo from member Ames add where he is selling the Beautiful Banded Horn. I did not want to start the question in his add and disrupt commerce.
Thanks Ames :ThankYou:What a great looking Horn)

25787-148ab4e9d58dc5d6d209e2faf072807c.jpg

Historically correct for when and where??? The style of shot bag in the picture is German, 19th century. I don't recall off hand whether or not I have seen small game loops on an old bag like this or not, but it's possible.

You'll run into less historical trouble if your loops were plain leather strings, with no metal rings.

Personally, I would think that placing them where they are in the picture would be troublesome, as they're right on the flap. Squirrels hanging from the loops would interfere with you getting your hand in the bag. I think a few leather "thongs" with slits in the ends to form loops simply hanging on your belt would work better. ;)

Madison Grant shows a neat over the shoulder game hanger:
game hanger.JPG

Game bags were advertised in the day, so I went with that idea.

The Pennsylvania Gazette
October 24, 1771
JUST IMPORTED, and to be sold by NICHOLAS BROOKS,.... beautiful walking sticks of all kinds, new fashioned shot pouches , leather powder flasks, shoulder bags for dead game, ladies earrings,

game bag1.jpg

game_bag2.jpg

Spence

Attachments

• game hanger.JPG
    game hanger.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 54
The Pennsylvania Gazette
October 24, 1771
JUST IMPORTED, and to be sold by NICHOLAS BROOKS,.... beautiful walking sticks of all kinds, new fashioned shot pouches , leather powder flasks, shoulder bags for dead game, ladies earrings,

Spence

" shoulder bags for dead game, ladies earrings," :) It stuck me as both funny and fitting, that's about how we shop,

I use my Haversack as a catch all right now, lunch a water bottle, fire kit and two dead bunnies fit nicely, that said I still find those game straps to be interesting. in my head I think birds like say pheasant or grouse might hang ok but a fat rabbit or a duck seems like it would swing about & get in the way with that much weight hung that low.

I have used game straps although not attached to the bag. They were not appealing for me and I think hanging "dead game" from the shooting bag would be in the way. The other thing about game straps is they get blood on clothing.

A game bag was something I always used as a kid in Michigan. They were canvas. Some were plastic lined but some grass in the bottom to soak up the blood worked.

Course that was period correct for the 50's. :)

I have a pile of leather and am going to make a bunch of bags. When I'm not social distancing with gun or bow in hand.

Probably a pretty good date. These were used well into the 20th century. They often have shell loops for shotgun shells inside (this one has clear impressions on the back where shells were carried). All the Rapid Rivets kinda indicate a later date too.... :)

Latest posts

Back