• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small game knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey gents
Just curious as to what you guys use for small game processing, so let’s see em!!
Here’s some of mine, haven’t found the perfect one yet
C010A843-86C5-40AC-9FBC-BD54E094E535.jpeg

Hey gents
Just curious as to what you guys use for small game processing, so let’s see em!!
Here’s some of mine, haven’t found the perfect one yetView attachment 108311
Same as my deer and everything else knife.
Too many to post pics of.
Essentially, all my favorites share two primary traits. First, if the tip of my index finger can't extend along the spine and meet the tip, it is too big.
Second, scalpel sharp. When I say I want cutting edges "shaving sharp" that means no drag or pull. Hair on my arm should disappear with no feeling of shaving, like a brand new razor.

Cann't remember the last time my small game bag was anything other than squirrel; but, my processing evolved away from a knife; I carry carbon steel vintage German made button hole scissors (makes a nice cut in the skin so I can pull it off and opens the body cavity for gutting. I also carry a vintage carbon steel German made hand prunner for removal of feet and head. They both live in a pocket of my small game vest. Not as romantic as a knife.
He ends my confession.

Cann't remember the last time my small game bag was anything other than squirrel; but, my processing evolved away from a knife; I carry carbon steel vintage German made button hole scissors (makes a nice cut in the skin so I can pull it off and opens the body cavity for gutting. I also carry a vintage carbon steel German made hand prunner for removal of feet and head. They both live in a pocket of my small game vest. Not as romantic as a knife.
He ends my confession.
I use kitchen shears a lot in final processing of pheasants.

It has been a while since I hunted, but for small game I always used whatever pocketknife I was carrying at the time. I did try to keep it sharp, and I have always preferred carbon steel to stainless.

However, a fellow who is familiar with his knife can make it work for just about any cutting chore. I ran across this interesting passage in Saskatchewan and the Rocky Mountains, by the Earl of Southesk:

Southesk p. 214.png

From the description, I am pretty sure Antoine's knife was a Hudson's Bay Camp Knife, like this one:

Buffalo Knife.jpg

I thought it was pretty cool that he could skin a ground squirrel with it, and sharpen it on a river stone.

These are big knives. I have one that was made by Dean Hazuka of Montana Americana. He makes about the most accurate reproductions of these that I have seen. This photo is from his website, but my knife looks just like it:

Dean Hazuka HB Camp Knife.jpg

Caspar Whitney illustrated and described this type of knife as it was used by the Dogrib First Nations people who accompanied him in his travels, documented in On Snow-Shoes to the Barren Grounds:

Whitney, p. 180.png

Whitney, p. 196.png

These knives were apparently very popular among the northern natives. Good for everything from chopping firewood and cutting lodgepoles to skinning ground squirrels and musk oxen, for people accustomed to using them, and Whitney seemed to think the blade shape was perfect for skinning. I'm not sure one of these would be my first choice for cleaning a squirrel, though.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back