• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small game handgun hunting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

50 Cal.
Reaction score
On "Handgun Hunting", the topic of small game handgun hunting came up, but the thread was about big game hunting. However, the topic of small game handgun hunting is interesting methinks.

My favorite small game handgun is a Remington Navy, (Uberti) and it has done very well on grouse. My main reason for carrying a side arm in the woods is for survival purposes, and the coup-de-gras when big game hunting with rifle or musket, but as grouse is usually open it gives me the ability to take them also. However, I usually pass them up, not wanting to make noise. !!! When I do take one, that little .375" ball really does not tear up the meat. The Remington Navy has done well on grouse.

We have snow-shoe rabbit where I hunt, but not a lot, so I have never shot one. But I'm sure the pistol has the accuracy to make a good head shot, as they usually sit still. That Uberti is laser accurate.

I often fantasize about other pistols for small game. I think the Le Paige in .36" would be cool, but I also think about other single shot pistols in smooth bore, shooting shot loads for the same purpose. Everything from a Charlie Moore smooth bore to one of those Frog pistols that are .69". Or Le Loup's fantastic hand cannon. Or a British Sea Service pistol. Things like that.

Well that's my thought for the day. :)

I am thinking of a .36 caliber pistol barrel I have, it's deep rifle I/18 twist, 10" which should make a delightful small game collection apparatus. It was made by Charles Burton, and I've had it for 2 years, other things got in the way of building a pistol. I believe hunting small game with a pistol is fine sport. I'd surely recommend it. Have not tried ML pistol yet, bound to be fun in the fall when the leave are still on the trees and the arboreal acrobats are in need of thinning out. George.

On "Handgun Hunting", the topic of small game handgun hunting came up, but the thread was about big game hunting. However, the topic of small game handgun hunting is interesting methinks.

My favorite small game handgun is a Remington Navy, (Uberti) and it has done very well on grouse. My main reason for carrying a side arm in the woods is for survival purposes, and the coup-de-gras when big game hunting with rifle or musket, but as grouse is usually open it gives me the ability to take them also. However, I usually pass them up, not wanting to make noise. !!! When I do take one, that little .375" ball really does not tear up the meat. The Remington Navy has done well on grouse.

We have snow-shoe rabbit where I hunt, but not a lot, so I have never shot one. But I'm sure the pistol has the accuracy to make a good head shot, as they usually sit still. That Uberti is laser accurate.

I often fantasize about other pistols for small game. I think the Le Paige in .36" would be cool, but I also think about other single shot pistols in smooth bore, shooting shot loads for the same purpose. Everything from a Charlie Moore smooth bore to one of those Frog pistols that are .69". Or Le Loup's fantastic hand cannon. Or a British Sea Service pistol. Things like that.

Well that's my thought for the day. :)
I hunt rabbits with a remington revoler.Out to 25 yards its a lot of fun. STACEY

Where I live, there is very little small game to hunt. No partridge, very few cottontails, some armadillos, but I am not that hungry.

If I was going to, it would be a Remington 1858 in .36.

My wife and I bought Pedersoli Kentucky pistols, hers is percussion, mine is flint. I shoot hers OK, and mine is coming along, but both need trigger work. I plan on chasing squirrels this fall with a pistol until I get a couple, or throw it into a pond.

Latest posts

Back