• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small game- .32 cal vs smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, tried to search but couldn’t find a discussion on it. Was wondering everyone’s opinion on buying a .32 cal vs a smooth bore flintlock for my first flintlock rifle for hunting specifically small game?

I mainly planning on using the rifle for small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc.). I like the idea of being able to patch a smooth bore for large game in the future. But it seems that a dedicated caliber might be a better option. I spend most of my time either hunting or fishing, and really fell in love with the idea of using a flintlock.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

I use a 62 caliber smoothbore , flintlock, Fusil de Chasse for small game hunting. These guns are very versatile. I could shoot round ball in it but never have. It's a lot of fun and very effective with shot but it is big, heavy and cumbersome. For that reason I've been wanting a flintlock rifle in 32, 36 or 40 to use on small game. I already have 50 caliber rifles for large game. Some fowlers are not as large as my gun and would be better suited for the field.
So for me, the size and weight of the gun is a big consideration and that's why I would like a small rifle for small game.

I have used both rifle and smoothie for small game. As you already stated, the smoothie is going to be a lot more versatile in the long run, so if I was only going to have ONE small game gun, I'd opt for the smoothie. The disadvantage is probably how far you can reach out there. I could and did take squirrels out to 25 yards with my smooth rifle...and made some running shots on squirrels as they scampered through the trees...something I know I couldn't do with a rifle. However, as you may have read in my .36 SMR story, I shot that squirrel at 40 yards through a lot of understory cover...something that would have been impossible with my smoothie. With a smoothie and shot, you may be picking through some shot when cleaning your game...not an issue with a rifle. Weight wise, my smooth rifle is heavy because it has all the features of a .62 caliber rifle...big swamped octagon barrel and a heavier rifle stock. But a lot of fowling pieces can be under 7#...lighter than my .36 Kibler SMR...even with a very long barrel. So I think weight is a virtue of the type of smoothie you have vs the rifle you have and not a given that one is going to be harder or heavier to carry than the other.

Have fun making the choice and remember...you can always have one of each! ;) :thumb:

I agree with the above statement. If you will hunt grouse, woodcock, or pheasant the fowling piece is the thing. If only rabbit and squirrel either would work.

I'd say go with a smoothbore, but I'm too biased. All my current MLs (both long and handguns) are smoothbores except 3 - two revolvers and a derringer. I have a real passion for smoothbores, as I just find them more interesting to play with. In practical terms, Sidney has the answer. You just need to decide if you want to take a crack at flying critters at some point in addition to those that run around on the ground, and that will be your deciding factor.

Another consideration: a little .32 will be extremely economical to shoot, in terms of powder and lead.

The late Max Vickery once wrote an article in Muzzle Blasts (IIRC) entitled 'Shagbark Squirrels' in which he recalled his experiences with a .32 caliber longrifle. It was an aesthetically pleasing article, and lit my desire to shoot little animals with tiny roundballs. If you can find it, it is a great read and will help you on the path to small game nirvana, LOL! My own experience with a .32 long rifle Pedersoli flintlock was a joyous path, but family circumstances affected its sale long ago. I have in the works a .36 longrifle, percussion, which I look forward to trying out on little critters in due time. It has a 13/16ths 42" barrel which makes the gun somewhat heavy; the upside is it can handle a heavy charge for flat shooting at longer distance for, say, coyotes or even small deer type animals. Don't use a smoothbore on small game, there's not as much challenge, and shot in your meat is a drag at the table. Save it for ducks.

I also hunt grouse and turkey, so it looks like the smoothbore may be a better option. I really like the idea of a dedicated rifle though, and I generally prefer a rifle over shotgun for squirrel hunting.

Are smoothbores generally more expensive? Also what is the best website or dealer to purchase a flintlock from? I assume this sites classifieds may be the best, just have to wait until something pops up.

It depends on how hungry you are and if you are hunting public or private land. If you’re hungry and hunting shot out public land a shotgun will be best if you don’t mind picking shot and hair from your meat.

If you have good private land to hunt then a small rifle will be the best bet. If you want to hunt upland birds then a double shotgun will be the best.

My smooth bore guns are as lite as most small rifles so that’s not really a concern for me.

I'm a rifleman, so I choose a 32 over 3 decades ago. They are most fun when chasing squirrels or rabbits. Never enjoyed a shotgun for shooting squirrels out of trees, but that's me.

It depends on how hungry you are and if you are hunting public or private land. If you’re hungry and hunting shot out public land a shotgun will be best if you don’t mind picking shot and hair from your meat.

If you have good private land to hunt then a small rifle will be the best bet. If you want to hunt upland birds then a double shotgun will be the best.

I always find it interesting how hunters have such varying experiences. Could be because of just where we hunt, or sometimes how.

I say this because around my area, on very private land, the squirrels are pretty "tame" and allow you to approach very closely. I found my smoothie to be an excellent choice because it did give me some leeway on accuracy without a rest and being close, if I aimed at the nose, the shot pattern was still tight enough that I rarely had shot in the meat, but plenty in the head. In addition, it gave me the ability to shoot moving targets as sometimes those little devils don't like to sit still enough to get a good aim with a rifle. Another advantage, in my experience, is fouling doesn't seem to matter much in the smoothie with shot...just keep loading and shooting.

Now that I don't have the luxury of intensely private ground and am hunting heavily hunted private or public grounds, I find the squirrels (except maybe really early in the season) don't let you get close enough for smoothies and shot. This was a key reason I just built a .36 rifle...so I could reach out there on "educated" squirrels.

So each person has to really understand how the particular game around them on the area they have to hunt acts, and along with other desires and preferences, make the final decision. :thumb:

I’ve killed a few Rockies and Thumpers with rifle. .22 till I discovered ML then .36. However I prefer shot. Head shots don’t always present well, or game can be fleet of foot, lighting and shadows can be a problem. So I prefer my fusils.

Like Carbon 6 said, get both. I have a T/C .56 (28 gauge) smooth bore that i use for squirrels in the early season when the leaves are still on the trees. Once the leaves start to drop, I switch to my .32 flint long rifle for the somewhat longer shots that require some stalking which is a good primer for deer season. Once the deer season is over and the winter woods are pretty bare, I switch again to my .36 flint long rifle. I can take squirrels, rabbits and the occasional called in coyote. Not many opportunities to shoot flying game in my neck of the woods. Grouse are pretty much nonexistent, and their are few wood cocks during the migration time, that is why I prefer a rifle for my small game hunting.

Up here in Alberta we can only hunt squirrel on private land. They are classed as a fur bearer thus regulated by the trapping laws on public lands. We only have red squirrels also. So, for the vast majority of my small game hunting it is grouse or Rabbits. I have a hard time shooting upwards at a grouse on a limb with a rifle as there is never a backstop. It was pounded into me “never shoot a skylined animal! Ever!! So, preference for me in my area, with animals I can hunt, a smoothie for sure.
Walk

We only have red squirrels also.
By "RED" squirrels, do you mean these little terrorists? Around my area, we refer to these as both Pine and Red squirrels.

1609789934674.png

Or the much larger FOX Squirrel?

1609790020469.png

Well...after posting I looked it up and it appears it's the former little Pine/Red squirrel. I also found this statement (with photos)...they should hand out air rifles instead of live traps!!! Clearly the City of Edmonton has too much budget if they pay people to relocate those nasty little chewers of everything.

The red squirrel can sometimes become a nuisance in urban areas. The City of Edmonton does provide humane wildlife traps for capturing squirrels on private property. Animal control officers will pick up and relocate trapped squirrels. For more information visit the City of Edmonton webpage.

Last edited:
Back