• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Small cooking pot approx. 1750s?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston123

40 Cal
Reaction score
So, I am looking to finish out my colonial scout ensemble with a small cooking pot, because eating biscuit and cheese year round doesnt sound too fun.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Looking at the "Crazy Crow Trading Post" website, they have on offer a bunch of small cooking pots that are supposedly period, for not very much money. https://www.crazycrow.com/camping-k...t=12&Offset=12&Per_Page=12&Sort_By=disp_order

Townsends offers a similar pot for *a lot* of money.
https://www.townsends.us/collections/pots-pans/products/pint-brass-trade-kettle-c4500-p-1239
What is the difference? Will the cheaper pot give me cancer (joking, but only somewhat)

The Crazy Crow trade kettle is ½ gallon, and is mass produced....,
The Jas. Townsend and Son trade kettle is 2 pints, or 1 quart, so is 50% smaller than the Crazy Crow product, and is probably hand made, or ordered in small amounts, thus the price difference.

So Imagine if you were carrying a half-gallon milk carton in your pack vs. a quart milk carton, and how much room that will take up in your pack to decide what you'd like.

I noticed on the Crazy Crow site is also offering tin half-gallon trade kettles..., well they look like 19th century or younger "berry pails" to me...., and you can sometimes find them on eBay for less.

Don't get me wrong..., I have two that I use for trekking kettles or just camp cooking, but they really should be flat sided, I've been told by a few tinsmiths.

LD

Look up westminister forge, good things there. Been using there items for years quality made and worth the money in the long run.

From Townsend a copper

Attachments

• 043E608E-49D5-449B-8466-A2954F80A809.jpeg
    043E608E-49D5-449B-8466-A2954F80A809.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 68
And a old ‘corn boiler’ bought in the 1980s removed the handle to be more fitting. More WBTS style tin work. All one qt and very handy on the trail.
EF8D657D-5DFE-41A8-977D-9F281C2757A7.jpeg

From Townsend a copper

That's nice and has the GooseBay Workshop stamp, but the maker told me that the domed lid is 20th century, so it's historically inspired.

Don't get me wrong, I often use one or a pair of "tin berry pails" or "tin lunch buckets" that look very close to this ...,

TIN BERRY PAIL.JPG

I just submerged them in Evaporust to get rid of the rust, then used olive oil to stop future rust. The rib on the side that is either decorative or some sort of reinforcement is what makes mine not actually HC but..., nobody has complained yet.

LD

Yes Townsend had the lid, and I’ve never seen such shown on old pots
The lower cup I posted was a ‘corn boiler’ a tin cop with pit lid that too is doomed, that too came from Townsend I removed the handle
I like doing business with Jon and enjoy the heck out of his videos
But word of advice he is a store that sells stuff, and though he tries to stay correct he is a store not a research facility
But I understand one of his corn boilers from the 1980s ended up in a Smithsonian display on the Long hunters, for some years
All out heroes hath feet of clay😊

But I understand one of his corn boilers from the 1980s ended up in a Smithsonian display on the Long hunters, for some years

A modern forged ax head done in an 18th century style was in the early America display..., until the actual maker happened to visit and told one of the staff about his mark, which you could see through the display case glass...., 😆

LD

Back