• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Coehorn Mortars?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al Bently

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to learn more about small coehorn mortars. Not only different designs and construction techniques, but actually how to effectively shoot them. Things like:

* Aiming such a mortar?

* Different loads?

* F/FF powder differences in terms of performance?

* Distance/load/barrel elevation data?

* Preferred barrel elevation (eg. 45 degrees?)

* Any effects on barrel length?

* Shooting different shape and weight projectiles?

* Any other "tricks of the trade" that I'm not even aware enough to ask about them.

Thanks for any insight into this form of shooting.

Yeah 'rado, 'cept that's not really a Coehorn (certainly not small though everything's relative I suppose) or Stone Mortar you reference in my book. This is...

They were to throw grenadoes as personal weapons, not hurl minimum 24-lb. bombs from a crew-served gun. For more perspective that's a 3-lb'er behind my Coehorn (which is in the back seat of my car as I used it just this weekend). Originally Coehorns were limited to 45-degree angles and the lifting charge alone defined the height and range. The 2.75" also had a range of up to 1,200 yards or so...

Oookay...

And, wouldn't you like to know, fella! :eek:

If you mean that literally, never got it (the 3-lb.'er is obviously a cannon vs. the other two) -- the rubes were not worth dealing with and, with a proper carriage, would have been just too expensive and cumbersome to warrant buying and keeping around. Woulda been like folks say...

...the second happiest day of my life was when I got my boat. The happiest was when I sold it!

Alden,

Really like your Coehorn mortar. A good friend of mine had an original that was of smaller bore, maybe 1 1/2" or so? I wasn't sure if that was more for signaling, an alarm or something else?

Also like your Grasshopper. We had an Artillery Unit "with us" when I was in the 42nd RHR and they did some amazing things with taking the gun apart, hauling it forward and reassembling it, WHEN they felt like it.

Gus

Thanks. There is little documentation on such small pieces becasue they WERE considered personal arms and didn't really fit well there. The English were less keen on these than swivel guns, which I have one of too, and didn't keep particular care or track of them. In fact, The Armouries has no manual for any real Coehorn/Stone Mortar. But I can't fathom what a 1-1/2" bore would have been for other than maybe signaling and a short and wide barrel is not ideal even for that -- you can't pack enough powder in a grenadoe that size to do any damage and there'd be little point in lobing a solid swivel-gun ball anywhere.

Of course they would. It has been expounded upon numerous times on the forum that in antiquity they knew that dimpled balls fly truer that modern round projectiles. It is undoubtedly historically correct and common sense to use golf balls in mortars.

And if you patch them with women's silk underthings you'll get an extra 40' of range too...

How about as hot-shot, or grape/cannister? Unsing them to set building roof on fire, or falling shot out of the sky. Not much accuracy as cannister but who wouldn't look for a place to hide if 20-30 buckshot per mortar was falling out of the sky around you. I would be looking for shelter instead of firing back. remember the old addage. "DUCK AND COVER!"

Latest posts

Back